How can I keep my Ubuntu install clean?

Lewis Lebentz August 22, 2012

I am quite new to Ubuntu, I have been using it on and off for a few years but used it as my main OS for about 6 months now, but I still don’t really know what I am doing all the time in Terminal.

I know how to do things like apt-get, and navigating the directorys, but in Ubuntu you seem to have to modify so much, unlike Windows, you can just delete Applications from ‘Add and Remove Programs’ and use CCleaner to clean up, and that will keep it almost like new. When I run commands like for example installing a program from Terminal, I don’t know how I should remove the program and revert back to how it used to be. The more I use it, the more I feel like it is slowing down from everything I have changed, and don’t know how to revert back. It makes me feel like I should do a clean install of Ubuntu every few months, is this a good idea?

I recently found out about ‘Sandboxie’ for Windows, which lets you run programs without changing anything in the system, so you cannot get viruses or anything from them, this seems like it would keep the system cleaner. Is there anything like this for Ubuntu?

1. Timothy Liem

my advice : don't install softwares that you don't need. install Ubuntu Tweak (works like CCleaner)

2. Timothy Liem

I don't recommend BleachBit due to its complexity and if you don't know what you're doing, it has the potential to break your system.

3. Timothy Liem

use Ubuntu Tweak. it's the safest way to clean your desktop. to install, type this into your terminal :
    sudo apdd-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

4. christopher malek

To remove (uninstall) packages you can use Ubuntu Software Center. If you want to use command line and are familiar with apt-get, use the REMOVE option to uninstall packages. Unlike Windows, Ubuntu does not have a Registry file so when a package is removed, no keys remain behind. Besides, Linux is quite thorough in removing packages and their dependencies. So there is very little need to "clean up" and/or do a "clean" install every couple of months. Linux users go for years without doing a re-install.

As far as viruses go, Linux is way less affected than Windows. However, you should still install an anti-virus package. Go to the MakeUseOf Best of Linux Software page and look under Anti-Virus. Also check out MUO articles for a reviews of Anti-Virus software.

To search through Ubuntu repositories for programs/packages use Software Center.

5. Jacob Twitchel

You could install Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine in Virtual Box. If you do that then you can frequently create snapshots of your current machine states so if you think you screwed something up or regret installing something and want to go back you can tell virtual box to go back to your snapshot. Just you have to back up your files if you saved lots of stuff after the snapshot was created. Hope this helps!

Files fragmentation in Ubuntu can be solved by backing up data and reinstalling the OS.Altrenative to CCleaner is bleachbit.

6 Ways to Speed Up Your Ubuntu PC -

http://www.howtogeek.com/115797/6-ways-to-speed-up-ubuntu/

7 Tips to Get the Most Out of BleachBit, a “CCleaner for Linux” -

http://www.howtogeek.com/116971/7-tips-to-get-the-most-out-of-bleachbit-a-ccleaner-for-linux/

7. jrasulev

Yep, try Ubuntu-tweak, you can find review here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/gain-control-ubuntu-system-ubuntu-tweak-linux/

8. gpvprasad

similar to CCleaner - ubuntu-tweak
    which lets you remove old kernel files and even cached thumb lines, even your chrome caching.
    Even you can do some tweaks like system startup applications etc.

Sandboxie is not a miracle cure. It makes it harder for your system to be infected, but far from impossible. And the latest versions I have seen still do not work well with 64-bit versions of Windows and requires driver signing to be turned off effectively weakening the security of the system. Linux distros are starting with a better process separation mechanism than Windows and also use sandboxing by default so you shouldn't need to look for another sandbox.You can remove programs by either using the Software Center or the Synaptic Package Manager from the GUI or you can use 'apt-get autoremove', 'apt-get remove', or 'apt-get purge' to remove installed software. Check the man pages for full usage information. You can do cleanup similar to CCleaner by using BleachBit.