How can I keep my Ubuntu install clean?

Lewis Lebentz August 22, 2012

I am quite new to Ubuntu, I have been using it on and off for a few years but used it as my main OS for about 6 months now, but I still don’t really know what I am doing all the time in Terminal.

I know how to do things like apt-get, and navigating the directorys, but in Ubuntu you seem to have to modify so much, unlike Windows, you can just delete Applications from ‘Add and Remove Programs’ and use CCleaner to clean up, and that will keep it almost like new. When I run commands like for example installing a program from Terminal, I don’t know how I should remove the program and revert back to how it used to be. The more I use it, the more I feel like it is slowing down from everything I have changed, and don’t know how to revert back. It makes me feel like I should do a clean install of Ubuntu every few months, is this a good idea?

I recently found out about ‘Sandboxie’ for Windows, which lets you run programs without changing anything in the system, so you cannot get viruses or anything from them, this seems like it would keep the system cleaner. Is there anything like this for Ubuntu?