Why won’t Ubuntu boot after I upgraded to v12?

Alan Bell October 18, 2012

Hi there, I’ve been running Ubuntu 10 on HP desktop without any issues, I did an upgrade yesterday to v12 which seemed to go fine. It asked me to re-boot and now I get the wait screen with the following message:

Cannot find /

Both HDs are showing in the BIOS so presumably are being found. Anyone got any ideas? It gives me the option to manually find the root by pressing the ‘M’ key – but what do I do then?

1. fallen heart

it depends on the error get while booting. try running ubuntu on pendrive and goto ircfreenode for ubuntu

you can try this if you wish
    1) choose 'recovery mode' from GRUB(usually the second option).
    2) Open Terminal and do the following:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    3) Text Editor window will open up. Copy paste the following text to the bottom of the file.
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    4) Save and exit. Finally, update GRUB in the terminal.
    sudo update-grub
    5) Restart Ubuntu.

Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

If you know how your system was originally partitioned, you can use the manual option to point the system at the correct partition where your root filesystem is located (in most cases it would be /dev/sda1). Once you do that, you should verify the contents of /etc/fstab to ensure that the system can locate / in the future.