How can I make Ubuntu 10.04 faster?

Jessica C.W. May 3, 2010

I installed Karmic on my machine yesterday, after I got fed up with XP’s sluggishness. After using it for 4 years it had gone slow. I then upgraded immediately to Lucid using the Update Manager and now everything is slow, except for bootup/shutdown.

Clicking on the panel menus is painfully slow and so are loading Firefox and switching between applications. I don’t know what else to do. I activated the software modem drive.

After searching Google for bit, I used “lspci -nn | grep VGA”, which returned “01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M][1002:5A62]”, but I don’t know what to do with that information.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001 (see specks here). I’m very new at using Ubuntu, so I’d appreciate any tip! Thank you in advance!

1. Knowledgeinsight

This solution still works on Ubuntu as of December 29th, 2011.  Just made the change and you were right Jhpot, made a big difference.

Thanks!
    SmW

2. Dale

Thanks Justin, I followed your advice and changed the settings on the appearance and my computer now works at normal speed. I have been following this thread and you certainly know alot. Thanks once again for your help. Dale :-)

3. Gokulvarma
    • Jessica Cam W.

I've completed several of those steps at this point and figured out that an Ethernet cable connection was the best solution. Thanks, Gokulvarma.

4. coniefl

I switched to ubuntu when it was version 7.xx now I'm up to 10.04 and all of a sudden everything is running in slow motion, it started out ok, but gradually slowed down. I'm getting really mad at this as I swear by ubuntu, now it sucks. I booted windows 7 and have no problem , so I know its ubuntu itself.

You should ask this as a new question. Your chances or receiving a reply are much better. Click the green "Ask a Question" button in the top right of this page.

Hi fellow recent ubuntu users! :) I just want to share about this getting started manual that I've recently found: http://ubuntu-manual.org/

• Jessica Cam W.

Great find! Thanks!

6. jhpot

Jessica,

Welcome to Ubuntu! Just to be clear, was Ubuntu 9.10 slow for you as well, or did the problems begin after your upgrade?

If the later is true, try downloading Lucid directly, booting from the Live CD and getting a feel for whether or not this is slow. If not, the issue must have occurred during the upgrade process. Consider re-installing Ubuntu from the CD.

If Ubuntu's been slow all along, I'd suggest turning off Desktop Effects to begin with click System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then click the "Visual Effects" tab. Click "None."

Let me know if this speeds things up a bit.

• Jessica Cam W.

Thank you so much! I'm so happy! Clicking on 'None' for Visual Effects worked! Now everything's so snappy.

And 9.10 was not slow when I tried it on the Live CD. Thanks again! :)

• jhpot

Happy to help, Jessica.

• Jessica Cam W.

Hi again, Justin! I'm having more problems with Ubuntu which might be symptoms of a flaky connection: Firefox and Chrome take forever to load secure sites (like https://gmail.com), Dropbox won't even finish uploading a 74KB file, and Xmarks takes forever to finish syncing.

But if my connection is really that flaky, in my other PC with Vista, things wouldn't be running great, but they do. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

• herbie643

You might try going into Firefox and at the location bar enter about:config and press enter at the This might void your warranty (or something like that) then type into the search box ipv6 and see if the value of network.dns.disableIPv6 is false if so, doubleclick on it and network.dns.disableIPv6 will then become true. Close Firefox and restart. I know this sped up my connection like you cannot believe.
          I can only assume that as soon as IPV6 is implemented this will have to be set to false, but that won't occur for a while yet.

• John

Thanks for your help. After following the suggestions above, Ubuntu 10.04 runs much faster.