Why doesn’t typing actual IP address direct me to actual website?

Srinivas N September 20, 2012

As per functioning of DNS, typing the domain should redirect me to the actual website. But when I have tried typing the actual web IP address of some sites, my Firefox 15 shows “The connection has timed out. The server at 207.97.202.133 is taking too long to respond” ( 207.97.202.133 is the IP of Makeuseof.com).

I have tried switching between Google DNS and My ISP DNS. I have tried visiting various Websites IP by http://webipaddress.net/ I have tried many other websites, but only few of them responded

Please let me know problem behind the issue and through some light on the inner functioning..

1. Freud Iomc

virtual hosting.

Why do you want to do this??????

3. Alex Perkins

It is probably a server that hosts many websites.

To resolve that you can define the ip in the local host file with the associated url.

You are sending HTTP requests to an SMTP server. The address you have listed is the MX (mail exchange) record which is hosted at Google. Their website is located at 184.106.121.218 (the A record) but they appear to be sharing a host with at least one other website with name-based virtual hosts, so this alone will still not get you to their site.

6. Rob Hindle

Because the server at that IP address is hosting more than one web site (often hundreds or thousands) so the IP alone is not enough.

In that case you can sometimes access an individual site with an address format like: http://123.123.123.101:81/accountname/ but that's only of very limited use. You have to know that specific address. Web designers sometimes do that for a website under development before a domain name has been associated with it so they and their customer can preview it.

Sometimes the IP address is enough, usually big organisations so 129.42.38.1 gets you to IBM for example.