Why do typed characters appear with a delay on my Dell Inspiron 530 running Ubuntu 10.10?

Noel Murphyl January 3, 2011

I am using a Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache. The PC has 4GB of RAN. When I bought it from Dell in 2008, it came with Ubuntu 8.04 installed and worked perfectly. Since then, I have upgraded with each new Ubuntu release with 10.10 now installed.

Each time the keyboard display takes longer about 2 seconds for each char to appear, yet the machine is very fast with windows opening and closing, playing audio or even YouTube videos. Only typing is an issue. This happens not only in Firefox, but in the text editors and even after bootup when entring the PC password.

I have replaced the keyboard and the video. I also tried other Linux versions or distros, all had same problem. The video card is a NVidia GeForce 420 1024MB. The screen is a Dell 24 in Flat panel display. I don’t have a Windows operating system on a CD to install to see if it is the Linux Kernal. I don’t know what else to do. I am miserable please help!

1. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

The fact that the computer came with a version of Ubuntu installed doesn't mean a newer of the US version will work as well as previous versions or better than. Sometimes hardware is left out from the compatible hardware list with upgraded versions of any OS. This is like when something that worked on Windows XP doesn't work (as good or at all) on Vista or Win 7.

I would have suggested that it's a RAM or Processor issue, but clearly it's not, so I am suggesting a driver issue. Try finding the original driver for the keyboard and try getting support to install that driver in your computer.

What was the last stable version of Ubuntu you used? An advantage of using open source software is that it is easier to track changes between versions, compare the versions and see what changes have been made, specially in the keyboard driver section, this can help you clarify, locate and eventually fix the problem.

Hope it helps!