What type of privacy software is available?

Jessica L April 8, 2014

What types of privacy software is available now?

1. Jessica L

Hi Hovsep A, I work on a Windows machine and I was referring to all-around privacy; email protection from incoming viruses from others, prevent spying, computer security. I'm envisioning almost like being a ghost when you browse the internet where you like browsing under the radar but can still access sites for downloads and wordpress. I do web design and am always concerned about secure downloads. I know there is already software out there but am more concerned about the privacy aspect.

2. Dominic C

it is for android and not for windows

3. Jeff F

Let me add on to your list.

5.) Install a local software firewall and configure a strict allow white-listed, deny rest style of a ruleset. Anything that you don't explicitly approve of should be blocked. Run malware scans with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner. Those are the most current and approved industry standard malware scanners at the moment.

6.) Cleanup your tracks. Run CCleaner religiously and configure your browser to automatically delete browsing history on close, if you're not already using the private mode of your browser. I would also recommend that you configure Windows to delete your swap partition cache before shutting down, but this adds a lot of overhead to the shutdown time (usually 10 - 20 minutes).

7.) Configure your browser to opt out of tracking.

8.) Always prefer an HTTPS version of a website to ensure the encryption of all transmissions on that channel. HTTPS Everywhere (Firefox, Chrome, and Opera ) is a browser extension that can accomplish this, though most browser developers are starting to integrate this option directly into the settings. Check your browser settings or documentation to know whether or not that is an option for you.

9.) Turn your webcam so that it is not facing you or do what I do and also put a sticky note over the face so that even if it is activated and turned around, it's not picking up anything useful. Unplug your microphones/webcams when not in use. Also, check for hardware key-loggers while you're at it.
    Hack Attack: How To Keep Your Webcam Secure From Online Peeping Toms

10.) Buy yourself one of those fancy schmancy hard drives with hardware encryption. While you're at it, upgrade to a solid state drive (SSD) to future proof your system(s).

tldr; Encrypt everything and keep your installed software, including your software, your operating system, your drivers and your anti-malware/anti-virus/firewall definitions.

Keep Reading and see how deep this rabbit hole goes...
    Microsoft Safety & Security Center - Protect your privacy on the Internet
    4 Uses For Browsing In Privacy Mode (That Isn’t Porn)
    Can You Really Be Anonymous Online?
    You’re Being Watched Online
    What’s A Cookie & What Does It Have To Do With My Privacy? [MakeUseOf Explains]
    2 Hidden Privacy Tools You Should Be Using

keywords: internet, privacy, private, software, windows, linux, browser, vpn

Oron comment is excellent, but you need to be more precise for which purpose you need privacy. You can also use CCleaner, Glary Utilities, or similare toolsto clean your online tracks. You can also use Sandboxie
    http://www.sandboxie.com/

There are many types, and the answer depends partly on what you mean by "privacy software". Assuming you're talking about Windows, there are at least three groups of software:

1. Online privacy software: make it difficult for others online to snoop on your activities. There are VPN & Proxy services (some with separate software, many accessible just by changing network settings) and above all others, there's TOR, which is software which combines many techniques to anonymise you on the internet.
    2. Folder encrypters and hiders. Pretty self evident what they do. TrueCrypt is a good example of the former, and Free Folder Hider of the latter.
    3. There are programs that hide information inside other files (usually in JPG files). This is called Steganography. It's been a long time since I've tried any, so I won't mention any particular packages, but you can look around and find them.
    4. Last but not least, if you are logging onto your own computer and want to prevent your family & friends from snooping on you, create a separate login account for yourself with a secure password (i.e. not trivial and not known to anyone else) and set the screensaver to lock your screen when you're away from the the PC for more then a couple of minutes. If others need access to the PC, set up separate accounts for them.