Why can I only type numbers on certain keys of my netbook keyboard?

martin August 13, 2010

I have a new netbook with Windows XP. Trying to type keys with both letters and numbers only allows the numbers. How can I fix this? Would welcome help please.

1. Wrightsrblessed

OK, I am having the same problem, but mine is a Acer Netbook and is only one day old! OS:Win7Starter. Every key I hit is showing up a number.If I type "over" is comes up"2345". I have unlocked the number lock, I have uninstalled the keyboard and still no luck.

I also recommend you to as a new question.

2. louise

Press the FN button and at the same time press F11 or F12 and it will unlock.

3. Lauren_rothwell

none of theese work

As Jack says, it does sound like your function (FN) key is locked. You might want to verify that by trying other keys controlled by this key. On my keyboard examples would be functions on the F1 - F12 keys (sleep, screen brightness) and a few others (Paste + Print, Remove + Screenshot).

You can try to reinstall your keyboard driver. Click on > Start, > Control Panel, switch to > System and Security and select > Device Manager. Expand > Keyboards category, right-click on entry, and select > Properties. Open > Drivers tab and click > Uninstall button. Don't click to delete the driver! Reboot and Windows re-install the driver.

• roger

thanks Tina appreciate your help. will try as you suggest and come back

• roger

Tina there is no icon for system and security and of course then no device manage etc. sorry to sound stupid. not quite a dump as i must appear. my system is windows xp. a samsung netbook

That's my bad, I assumed you had Windows 7 since you wrote it was a new netbook.

In Windows XP right-click on > My Computer and select > Properties. In the window that pops up switch to > Hardware / Devices (?) tab and click the > Device Manager button. Expand the > Keyboard category, right-click the entries and select > Uninstall from the menu. After you reboot your computer, Windows will re-install the drivers.

Good luck.

• Jack Cola

Can you find an image on Google of your keyboard so we can have a look?

But do you see an FN key? It will probably be the same color as the numbers on your keyboard. Press and hold that while pressinh u i o p etc.

There might be some sort of FN lock on your keyboard that's on. Figure out a way to turn it off.

Make sure you look at every key.

• roger

thanks for reply Tina will try this. it is a new computor for me. stored in a drawer for over a year. won in some competition and just taken it out to try. not had this problem with any other computors.

Do you see 'Scr Lk' button on your keyboard? Try clicking on it once and check the keys again.

• Sambhavme

hey i wants to know this also that how would i know the fn key is not working ?

I recommend that you ask a new question.

Are the keys your talking about on the right of the keypad, eg from the y h n keys? If so, there might be some Function lock on your keyboard. What that basically means is that there is a key combination someone on your keyboard that you press to allow the different keys to be pressed. Exactly the same as Caps lock or shift to get the upper and lower case letters, but in this case, it's the numbers.

• Gmnelson

I agree you have probably activated ´number lock´ on the keyboard there should be an indicator light next to the ´caps lock´ light if it is on you will need to find the key combination to toggle it back off

• Margar73

thanks very much for your reply.the keys i mean are those on u i o p j k l m and the @ key does not come up. obviously not on the computor im using to type this. i have tried all different combinations of keys to try and change this but without result. i have been into the regional and language icon in control pannel. some people have suggested it is to do with this but cannot rectify this way.