What type of laptop cooler do you recommend for a Dell XPS L1520X laptop?

Suhel October 6, 2011

I need to buy a laptop cooler for my laptop. It doesn’t get overheated or something, I just want to buy a cooler for extending battery life.

I don’t know what cooler to buy, the ones which pull away heat or push in the air towards the laptop? I’ve exhaust vent on the side of the laptop, but the bottom gets heated too after prolonged use. Any ideas?

I think with adjustable they mean that you can adjust the fan speed, not the direction. However, most laptops suck in air from the bottom and hence most coolers will work for you.

• Suhel

No Tina, adjustable means we can switch the position of the coolers its the only cooler with that facility :)

you can check out the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZ-SfyFXDQ

you can even make an article on it, tis awesome :D I ordered it already :)

That's cool! Let me know how you like it once you get it. :)

Suhel,

it's unclear in which direction the fans of these coolers work.

If you don't have intake grills or vents at the bottom of your laptop, then I would recommend a cooler that sucks the air away or a passive cooler that doesn't have a fan at all, or at least none that ventilates the laptop directly.

However, you must have both intake grills and vents on your laptop. Make sure you know where they are and what they are.

• Suhel

I've attached the image the small vent which I've shown in image (labled : not sure what is is) is exactly below my fan exhaust vent...I hope it does gives you some idea

These look like intake grills (sucking air in).If you have vents (blowing out air) on the side, then I'm 100% sure.

If you buy a laptop cooler, the fan has to blow air towards these intake grills. Make sure it does not suck air away from them. A passive cooler works either way.

3. Mjevolve

first of all some tips important tips for keeping your Laptop cool --

1> operate it under comfortable conditions . like in a shade if outside and obviously indoors .

2> make sure the laptop has ample of breathing space all around it . this for easy intake of air by the laptops inbuilt cooling fans and escape pf the inbuilt heat .

3> make sure you are not clogging up the air intake wents at any time . like when placed on your lap , the wents will get clogged up .

4> do some manual cleaning up . get a pressurized air can from your local store and use it to clear of the dirt that collects on the hardware during its usage . especially make sure that the air wents or any other ventilation ports remain free of air .
    this is the most important point .

5> now supplement it with a laptop cooler . 
    you can go for Belkin (  http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=472610  )
    or 
    Logitech (  http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/5493/logitech-cooling-pad-n100-reviews/reviews.htm  ) 

both are good enough .

but be sure to take care as i outlined , else even the laptop coolers wont be able to help .

hope it helps ....

• Suhel

Thanks for the tips :)

Suhel,

do you have any vents or intake grills at the bottom? If your laptop sucks in air from the bottom, get a cooler that blows air towards the laptop. If it does not, then maybe a passive cooler that absorbs heat and does not contribute to air flow might be better.

Also see these articles:
    How To Fix An Overheating Laptop
    5 Cool DIY Ways To Keep Your Laptop Cool

• Suhel

btw, I got vents on the left side.. on the bottom there is nothing but a small vent window really small (I dont even know if tis the vent window)