With two Gmail accounts how do I get the option to choose between accounts at login?

February 10, 2014

When I login to Gmail, it automatically loads the messages from the last used account. How do I eliminate this automatic decision, and let me decide which account I want displayed?

1. Tim B

Not sure if this has been properly answered yet, but I think I know what you mean. Gmail's multiple account sign-in used to be a horrible mess, and I stopped using it in favour of Chrome's profiles feature. It allows you to set up multiple instances of Chrome, and login to both accounts using the separate sessions. Works a treat.

However if you want both accounts you need to login to one (say your "primary" or personal account) then click your name, then Add Account, add the credentials for your second account and login.

Now in the top right when you click your name, you should be able to simply toggle between the accounts by clicking them. This will work for as long as you're signed into both.

Bud,

If you assume Dragonmouth's answer to be the best,then click on thumbs up icon on the comment in which he has answered.

• bud i

The answer by "djbtwcny" was the one that led to my breakthrough. However, where is the 'Thumbs Up' icon?

• Susendeep D

It's on the left side of the comment.

3. djbtwcny

At the initial gmail login screen, there's a checkbox that says "Stay signed in", and it's selected by default. When you're done reading your mail, if you just simply close your browser window, it will automatically log you back in to that account again the next time you visit, but if you sign out first, it will not.

Another way is to sign in to multiple accounts at once: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1721977?hl=en

• bud i

Dragonmouth - I am actually using Win 7 with IE 11. For some reasons to avoid conflicts with earlier versions of IE, MUO lists my browser as Mozilla. I think your cookie erasure process is a bit too cumbersome for me, but many thanks for pursuing my problem. See the following.

Reply

djbtwcny - Your answer on using the profile picture is the winner. It presented the choice dialogue for which I was searching.

I couldn't find any way to sign out of a Gmail account. I had realized the "Keep me logged on" button was the culprit causing all the problems. I wish the "Sign out" button with this dialogue just closed he current account rather than all the accounts. However, by using Tabs, I can close just one the accounts. The Tabs also make switching between the two open accounts quite easy.

• Christine D

I have 5 gmail accounts, and IMHO this is the best answer (using https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1721977?hl=en) as you can switch between accounts very easily.

4. bud i

I have developed a work around. I created a shortcut for which ever account happens to be the system's favorite at the time. Looking at the properties of the shortcut, the URL is probably "https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox".
    I copy and save the shortcut, open the properties and change the '0' in the URL value to '1'. I change the name of the shortcuts to differentiate them, and just click on the one I want.

5. bud i

How do I delete just the Google cookies, or would I have to delete all cookies?

• dragonmouth

Are you using Mozilla or IE? They are two different browsers from two different companies.

To selectively delete Google cookies in Mozilla/Firefox you go to Edit->Preferences->Privacy->Show Cookies.
      You will see a list of all the cookies saved by your browser.
      On the bottom of the display will be two buttons - "Remove Cookies" and "Remove All Cookies"
      To delete only Google cookies, highlight any entry that contains "google"
      Click on "Remove Cookies" or just press the Delete button on your keyboard.

It has been a while since I used IE but the method is similar.

6. dragonmouth

After you sign out of Google, delete all your Google cookies.

7. bud i.

I have two separate Gmail accounts. When I try to login, I seldom get a chance to choose which account I want to open. It appears to automatically load the messages form the last account opened. Occasionally, I will get a screen showing both accounts, land am asked to chose one. I want this to be the default. I have not been able to discern under what conditions this occurs.

8. kihara

Your question is not very clear. Are you saying that you have two separate Gmail addresses and you would prevent the browser from logging you into one of them automatically or are you saying you have set up Gmail to send from your other email addresses?