How can I get my TV tuner to work with a set top cable box?

Cameron February 1, 2011

I have Windows Media Center and an external TV tuner on my Acer laptop running Windows 7. I am a Roger’s cable subsciber in Toronto. Does it have to involve an IR blaster? All I get is over the air 2 to 3 fuzzy channels.

1. Toronto Tv Repair

I appreciate all your ideas i will try it now.

Only way if using analog tuner is to put a splitter on your coaxial cable before reaching your box. Then, run two coaxial cables, one for your box and the second for your tv tuner. That is if your setup is for the long run. If it is only when needed just run the cable from the box to the tuner. If it is only an analog tuner you can only get up to channel 125. If you have an analog tuner, you have to remember that nowadays most channels are transitioning to hd content...

The other thing too is that over the air channels depend mostly on where you live, some areas get more than others because of factors like interference, how populated the area is, etc.

If your Set Top Box does have an coaxial "Output" port you should be able to connect the TV Tuner to it using a coaxial cable.
    Otherwise I don't think it's possible ~ from what I read Rogers has some security and encryption methods to prevent the use of non-authorized devices.

You are probably best of contacting Rogers about the possibilities.