Why does my TV say ‘check signal cable’ when connected via HDMI to my laptop?

Anonymous March 26, 2014

I used to be able to hook my laptop up to my TV with a HDMI cord, but now my TV says check signal cable and nothing shows up. The cord is fine because it is the same one that is attached to my satellite and works on my TV.

Jeff's said it all! Check that the HDMI output is enabled on your laptop, and that the inputs are enabled on the TV. If it's still not working, test the TV & cable by connecting another device to the TV using the same cable and the same HDMI input on the TV.

2. Jeff F

Please make sure that you have no other DVI/VGA/HDMI/etc connectors for your display connected, other than the HDMI you're using to connect to your TV. Additionally, you must select HDMI as input on your TV by changing your source and on your laptop make sure that you're outputting to an external display (Windows Key+P)