Why does my TV not recognize my WD MyBook HDD?

Maggie October 15, 2011

I have a WD essential 2TB USB 3 HDD. I have ripped all my DVDs to this, but when I connect to my LG47 via USB it does not recognize the device. The WD is formatted in NTFS. I can play movies using a USB stick.

1. Joel Rey S. Bagsac

why is it my wd tv live wont read the wd hard drive when i connect it to wd tv. when i direct the wd hard drive it will work. and if i use flash drive usb to the wd tv live it also work. why is it the wd tv live wont read the files of wd hard drive? please tell me how to do it...

Hello, it could be because some older TV's can read flash drives but not external drives. Usually a flashdrive under 32 Gbs is formatted with FAT32 and an external harddrive because of storage size it formatted with NTFS.

You could try, formatting external to FAT32 and see if if files are recognized that way. If after reformatting drive, files are not recognized, it could be because your TV is not able to play that specific file extension. Check the manual to see what formats the TV can play and stick with them.

Keep in mind that TV is able to read flashdrives because the USB port is powering them. When you use an external, it needs external power...USB port is not powering device.

2. EMMANANUEL NARTEY

my wd tv is not recognizing the usb

3. CWW

It is probably because of the USB 3 cable that your tv does not recognize the HDD... Try using a regular USB(2) extension cable between your hard drive and the tv. It solved my problem with my home cinema set not recognizing the hard drive.

4. Mjh-1983

I have two flat screens and both are not playing the DVDS.  They always used to but seems funny how both of them are saying it.  I wouldnt say this happened at the same time but i can turn the tele on and it all appears normal and then put a DVD in and it says NO DVD.  Does anyone know what the problem might be?

@5721ee753cb2df6ba221cc139b149fa0:disqus  may be a power problem ,Hard disk needs power from the dvd player, if it is not self powered.

you can also connect your laptop to tv.
    or use a 8 gb  pen drive.

• maggie

My HDD is externally powered so that is not the problem.My files exceed 1Tb so pen drive wont do.
      i dont think the cable is a problem .

i just got the Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN  would have been nice to have got this working without having to buy this.
       THANK YOU guys for helping

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Maggie!

Hello, the good thing about all this experience is that we both learned something new....Sorry we could not help you more.

Swiss knife is for xp.
    use these tools for windows 7 :

FAT32 Format : http://www.pendriveapps.com/format-fat32-larger-than-32gb
    Fat32Formatter : http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html

you can do it without any software:

go to > Start, type > Run in the search field, and launch it. Type > cmd into the text field and click > OK.

Enter the following command at the prompt:
    format/FS:FAT32 X:Now http://www.pendriveapps.com/format-fat32-larger-than-32gbIt may take very long time to format, be patient or minimize.

7. maggie

My os is Win 7 pro. The only options for formatting is exFAT or NTFS.I tried downloading swissknife but that programme was not compatible with win7. Do you you guys know of any other freeware which would get the job done

Hello, I am sorry to say that in order for you to play your videos/movies on your tv you will have to format your external harddrive as fat32.  Hope you understand that fat32 does not use files bigger than 4 GBs.  So that means that the movies you rip, will have to be smaller than 4GBS.  You will have to compress them a little bit when you are ripping them or rip them normally and then compress them.  Usually a DVD rip using all the disk will occupy 4.37GBs.  Remember, before formatting your drive, copy your files somewhere else, if not they will be lost.

As a norm, any external harddrive or flash drive is formatted to fat32 when it is under 32 GBs.  Sometimes, there are problems when trying to format a big drive like yours to fat 32.  What is your operating system?  If you are running vista/windows 7 you can use disk management to format your external.  If you are running xp, you will have to use third party utilities or diskpart to format your drive.  

If you try to format your disk, and disk management gives you trouble, you can use the following:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

• maggie

I finally formatted to FAT32 using wd Acronis true image. it fomatted my 2tb disk without any partitions.
      But sadly the device is still not being recognized by my tv. Is there a size limit on memory which the tv can handle?

Hello, when you connect your harddrive to your computer after formatting, was it recognized by your computer and shows a drive letter?  Try connecting and find out if a drive letter is given and check if your drive is initialized. 

• maggie

yes it was recognised by comp ad drive letter was given

NTFS will not work,
    you need fat32
    re format it.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32

pen drive can play videos just because of this reason as it is in fat/FAT32 fromat.