Why does my TV play videos from one hard drive but not another?

en October 30, 2014

Hi,

I have two hard drives. Both are Samsung – 320 GB and 1 TB. When I insert the USB cable of my 1 TB drive into the TV USB port, it appeared on the TV and plays. The 320 GB drive appears on the TV screen but can’t open the files. Both are NTFS.

Why is that? Please help…

This is a strange problem, to be sure...
    My first thought is that it's the power consumption. It could be that the 320GB drive needs more power and the TV simply doesn't give it enough juice. The best way to test that hypothesis is by plugging the drive into a powered USB hub and connecting the hub to the telly. If it works - that's your answer!

The only other possibility I can think of is that it's something to do with the disk format (for example, the NTFS partition is compressed) or with the contents (different videos with requiring different codecs?). To test that, you'd need to reformat the drive - perhaps to FAT32 in the first instance, and copy some videos onto it from the 1TB drive that you have actually played on the TV. If they play, reformat as NTFS and try again. If they still play, take some of the clips that weren't playing and try to play them again.

can be compatibility problem depending manufacturers of the hard drives, follow Jan F suggestion.

3. Jan F.

If your TV shows the files on the 320GB but can't open them then it's most likely an unsupported encoding.

My initial thought would be to copy a file that is working from the 1TB drive to the 320GB drive and see if you can play it. This pretty much tells you whether it's an issue with the files (encoding)or the drive (file system, NTFS permissions, ...)