Why can’t I turn on Windows Security Center?
Question by Stephanie /

How can I turn on Windows Security Center on Windows 7 Premium Home Edition SP1? I’ve tried several times in the Action Center and always get the message “The Windows Security Center Service can’t be turned on.” I wondering why? I’ve check processes and services and it’s not listed. I’m also using a D-Link Router (wired) that has caused issues before. Is that the problem?

microsoft support :

Also make sure by scanning pc with anti virus and anti malware.

System restore can also help.

Hello, have you had any malware issues recently?  Is this a new issue?  How long has it been giving you this error?  Try the following:

— click on start
    — type services.msc in search bar, right click on it and select run as administrator
    — enter password and press enter
    — scroll down to the Windows Security Center and double click on it to start it

If that doesn’t work, you could try running the following commands in command prompt: 

— click on start
    — type cmd
    — highlight and right click on it and select run as administrator
    — press enter
    — type the following in command prompt: 
       sfc /scannow and press enter

— let the scan run till it finishes.  Keep your installation disk handy.
    — once it finishes try enabling security center

It is important to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.  It these steps don’t help, don’t hesitate to post feedback.

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Stephanie,

The service responsible for managing the Windows Security Center is not currently enabled. To enable it, go to Start -> Search and type “services.msc” and press enter. When the Services form appears, find “Security Center” and right click on it, then chose “Properties”. Once the properties of the Security Center appears, make sure that the startup type is set to “automatic” and that the service is currently “started”. If it’s not started, press the “Start” button.

It should be started now. You should probably perform a scan with your anti-virus and anti-malware, as the Security Center being disabled is a common indication of an infection. 
    – Jeff

• Khadezia

hello i saw that you said to look for “Security Center” my computer doesnt have that can you tell me how to fix it ?

If it isn’t showing up with the rest of the services, you will need to do a repair install in order to reinstall it, then run Windows Update until all appropriate patches have been reapplied as necessary.

The issue can be caused by malware, make a scan with your security tool, superantispyware…

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.

2. In the right pane, double-click Security Center.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

How to restore the missing “Security Center” service in Windows XP SP2?

• Oron

Khadezia, which version of Windows are you using, Windows 7, Vista or XP?