How can I turn off my phone’s tracking feature?

Kevin September 24, 2011

How can I turn off the tracking feature on my phone so my location cannot be tracked?

1. shawn

i bet u dont have to worry much if u are using cheap non android phone... 

2. Tyl99

Agreed. Only real way to confidently negate all tracking is to remove battery. GPS option in settings. As is WiFi/ wireless triangulation. But even then... Data is being collected. Hence the class actions growing against Google and the premptive opt out option discussed.

Either remove the battery or get comfortable with our world. :(

3. Mulder

If you don't want to be tracked, you need to get a skilled person to remove the GPS chip in your phone, since that is what allows the government to locate you. This is exactly what the government agencies do for their cell phones: the White House, FBI, CIA, etc.

If you remove the battery, that means you'll miss a lot of phone calls if your a normal user, and when you do put the battery back in, you can be tracked to your exact location anyway.

4. smayonak

I believe you must shut the phone off - and to be safe, remove the battery.

Google recently announced that they were going to offer an "opt-out" tool for those interested in removing themselves from wifi tracking. Unfortunately, Apple hasn't announced anything similar.