How do I turn a PDF into an editable document?

Nancy December 14, 2011

I tried downloading and converting a PDF to Word via an app. It sent the document to Word as a Word doc, but I am unable to edit the doc. (Cursor does not appear at all on doc). Should I be converting the PDF to text instead?

1. Heerak

Download FoxIt Editor and edit as you like.

2. Pius

I tried out a few programs, but run into problems as well, until I found Wondershare PDF Converter Pro. Because this program supports OCR, it will also convert scanned PDF to Word, et voila, you can edit your document!

Pius

There are many free ocr options which i suggested in the comments, if you want to do it for free :)

perhaps there are some restrictions on the pdf that stay there even after conversion to word. First use a pdf restriction remover.

http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/freemypdf-unlock-restricted-pd/

pkPDFconverter
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pkpdfconverter/
    to convert to TXT, there is a view window, perhaps you can edit in that window, maybe you can use the same pkPDFconverter to convert to PDF

• Nancy

Thanks for the input ~I will certainly give it a shot!

Nancy,

You do not have to convert PDF to a text document in order to edit it, there are several tools which will do this (see below). 4 Methods To Create & Edit PDF Files For FreeUse PDFVue To Fill Froms & Edit PDF Files For Free OnlinePDF To Word
    Phantom PDF
    NitroPDFPDFescape - Free PDF Editor & PDF Form FillerPDFill

- Jeff

• Nancy

Hi Jeff - I will try it all! Thanks for your help.

5. Dave Parrack
    • Nancy

Hi Dave - Since converting the PDF didn't seem to work for me, I am going to first try a restriction remover before downloading a converter. Hope it works! Thanks for your thoughts.

If you can copy the text from pdf, and all you want is text from pdf.

you can just copy and paste it to notepad and save a text file.
    which you can edit later. and may convert back into pdf or word if you want.

for conversions you can try,
    zamzar.com.

If it has a scanned text, then you can use some ocr options and coy the text.

• Nancy

Hi Jay, thanks for your reply. PDF will not allow me to copy/paste. Will check out zamzar. Appreciate your time and effort.

Is it a scanned copy of a book, or you can select the text but can't copy.

if conversion and restriction removing do not work,
        you can still extract the text,
        using several options like google docs, Microsoft one note, http://www.onlineocr.net etc

• Nilaximecwan

Most of d people told me tht pdf do not allow to cope the text but i have always copied it and got pasted it on notepad or word file............