How can I turn off my laptop monitor at the hardware level?

Craig Snyder February 3, 2012

I’ve got my laptop connected to a desktop monitor, still using the laptop keyboard. When I close the lid (which in turn turns off the monitor), the display automatically sizes to my desktops resolution. When I open the lid, it automatically sizes to my laptop.

Basically, to use the keyboard I have to have the laptop open. However, I want the monitor off, so that I’m not seeing double and so that I can use the proper resolution. Any way to do this at the hardware level?

1. Vire2772

Any idea how to turn on. Laptop that I fixed but now the off on button is broken? Vire2772@yahoo.com

There might be an option to disable the display within the BIOS
    While booting up press the BIOS key (usually DEL, depends on manufacturer) and look through the settings for some display related settings.

However, this also means if you disconnect your external display the built-in screen won't switch on!

3. Karkala Nayak

You can check this website here which shows how to turn off the laptop lights they have provided the software you can download it and use it

http://www.redmondpie.com/turn-off-your-notebook-lcd-with-one-click/ 

hope it helps...

4. Ed

You can make the desktop monitor as your primary display. You can find it in the display settings. 

You didn't mention your laptop model, but in Lenovo laptop you can easily shuffle the settings (from identical, extended, 2nd monitor as primary) by pressing Fn and F3 on the keyboard so you don't need to delve into the settings.

Almost all laptop today has this function. If you're using a different laptop model look for the secondary functions of your keyboard that has a square icon or monitor icon. Press the Fn key and that key.

Usually Fn and one of the F keys (F5, F6) or minus sign? press it a couple of times and the display should change.

right click desktop) properties > settings > advanced > monitor. 

Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Turn Off the Monitor
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/

How to Enable / Disable Second Monitor Connected to Your Computer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUiVlEEsFs

• Karkala Nayak

In most laptops Function key+(F5,F6) only increases/decreases the brightness it doesn't fully turn the screen off 
      Craig Snyder should more focus on your other methods except the first one..and keep the first method aside until no other method works...

Not true. Actually most laptops do have a keyboard function switch to switching between monitor mode - LCD/VGA/ or LCD+VGA.