How to turn a jpeg into an AutoCAD file?
Question by lara /

I’m working on a Mac. I have a jpeg image of a small map, I need to redraw it with the exact same dimensions on AutoCAD.

I printed it, measured it and redrew it, but there’s a considerable margin of error. So I have to somehow copy paste it in AutoCAD. Or do you guys have another idea?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

converted

original jpg in the attachment

http://www.ehow.com/how_5886007_convert-image-dwg.html
    i tested this guide, and it works, but i am not sure how accurarately it will draw a map…mine was cartoons :)
    http://file.softsea.com/CAD_Software/img2cad.exe just use this software, thats all the guide says.

you have 15 days to comolete you task, it is a trial software. but no watermarks in outout.

you can also insert jpg in word file annd insert by copying and pasing, and then you will have to trace.

but go for try to first solution first. it works.

try a bitmap to vector utility, like Corel Draw. scan the jpeg, use the bitmap/vector conversion, save to dwf, and bring to ACAD. 

• Rodrigo

Your simplest bet is to trace the file. Just import it to AutoCad and redraw the lines without worrying about measuerments, at first. Then, when you have the entire drawing complete, take a line or structure you know the proper dimensions (e.g. a wall you know has x meters), and then scale the whole drawing to make the sizes fit.

As an alternative (as i don’t really know if you can do the following in AutoCAD), you can try setting the scale first hand, by taking a reference structure (for example, a square-shaped room), drawing its shape in the proper size. Then you can scale the jpeg to make it match your reference object. From there on, it’s a prety straight forward process of tracing the rest of the lines.

I hope this helps!

As far as I know you cannot convert an JPEG image into usable AutoCAD data.
    You can import an place it as an image but it will neither be in scale nor usable for e.g. measuring. It will simply be an image placed within CAD.

The only idea I can come up is to ask the same question in the AutoCAD Discussion Groups. It’s probably the best place to get a viable answer.