Do you turn off your computer over night?

Tina February 21, 2011

Do you leave your computer running over night and whether or not you do, what is your rationale behind it?

If you leave it running, do you run backups, updates, downloads, or other processes? When do you ever reboot your computer?

1. IBRAHIM

yes i leave my ..laptop HP.. run downloads " huge files "
    but not always , sometimes i turn it off
    i have no problem at all
    laptop = low power consumption + very very quiet

2. Dj_fantasy101

oh yea Reason why leave my pc on everyday! netflix radio internet stations, I 
    bearley  watch cable tv, netflix is great and also good a good cooling liquid cooling product, lower your energy computer level and you will be fine!! I also listen to radioprank internet radio when I go to bed so that's the reason why I leave my pc running 24/hours, I use to have an older system, but I would get my laptop instead having my older pc running 24/

3. Dj_fantasy101

I leave my computer 24/hours sometimes reset because of windows updates ect.. I clean it with a compress air every 2 weeks or so, my  computer sounds like a laptop so quiet 6 cores 24 mb memory rams 2 gigs video card, I make sure they stay cool and also made a test on my electricity bill, no difference! whoever if are running a older computer and sound a bit loud and gets warm, do you let it run for too long!! my opnion

4. Chuck_arvin

I have my user machine setup to sleep after 15 minutes just to save the power and keep the whirling noise off. But, I also have a machine that runs 24/7 and it runs my printer, scanner, MagicJack, and a 1T external HD

5. Kyle

I leave mine on because I use magic jack and if the computer is off so is the phone

I always turn off my computer before going to sleep. Since I usually go to work straight away in the morning, and do not get back until like 4 or 5 o'clock, my computer is usually only on for like 5 hours a day...

7. Luepher

Too lazy to wait for windows to load, always keep it up. Definitely helps when you wake up at night and decide to check email or remember something you forgot to do. Instant gratification ;)

Most of the time I am leaving it on. I have too many things running / windows opened and simply too lazy to save them.

I reboot everyday in the morning, to be on the green side of the economy and nature. Reducing pumping electricity and possible generating CO2. I only let up until morning if i do file recovery after hardware failure, formating....or extensive antimalware scan.

10. Josh Fox

I turn my computers off at night when I'm not having them do anything. Most often, I leave downloads, backups, or scans running over night though. There have been times when my computers have been running for months at a time without any shutdown or restart. I only do this in Linux though because Windows gets too slow when left running for too long. If it's Windows, I tend to restart it at least every couple days. I leave it working on stuff at night so the added processor or Internet usage doesn't slow down everyday use of the computer or Internet. However, if I don't have the computer working on anything, I'll shut it off for power savings.

I do because it is actually better for the computer. I generally do not turn off the computers I use on a daily. I hardly ever change out a hard drives, because they are designed to move at a constant high speed (currently I am running old 7200 rpms, but I am really considering Raptors in a Raid). You will get better life out of your computer, adding years of good use out of your computer hardware... with good software maintenance ofcourse :-)

Yes, and I'm happy to pay for the additional electricity it uses. Sometimes it is downloading, sometimes I just forget to turn it off. One thing I really hate is restarting when I have 10 apps open and various workspaces arranged. No thank you, I want to pick up straight where I left off in the morning, not waste half hour opening up files and folders I was working on again. Hibernation is the answer, obviously, I really ought to set it up to hibernate after 1 hour or something. ...

• Myke46

Why not Sleep?

Hibernation is very hard on your operating system...

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

On the operating system how so? I thought it was heavy on the hard drive beacause everything is dumped into it and then the computer shutsdown.

I always hibernate my computer, unless I plan to have it off for a long time (more than 24 hours) or I restart it or I want to make some maintanance on it.

Eventually, in my experience, that it will corrupt your OS. I have also seen it rip a registry to pieces

• Jasjeev Singh Anand

you sure should...

I usually leave it running with some DVD or TV stream... no other purpose behind it. But I always shutdown before I leave for work.
    Still adds the benefit of all those Windows maintenance tasks being executed.

14. smallant456

i always turn off the computer and the reasons are almost like Vin369's, because of the power consumption, noise. I think long time working is also not good for a computer. But when i download something, i would turn it on , while i also set the shutdown time to turn it off automatically when finishing downloading.
    When my computer is down , i will reboot my computer.

15. Richard Mackey

I leave mine on. The rationale is a) it auto-updates everything, and
    b) I believe, as some others do that the circuit boards, when turned on and off frequently, go through constant heat/cool cycles (expand/contract) and will eventually develop cracks in the printed circuit traces. I have only anecdotal evidence of this, but it is one of the questions I ask my customers when I find that their computer hardware has failed for no other apparent reason.

Damage through 24/7 usage is more like a myth and is caused by failed maintenance.

The PCB's used in home computers are (mostly) no different in manufacturing and materials as those for Servers and other hardware which is aimed at 24/7 usage. I doubt there will be any or more damage when leaving the computer on.
      The only parts that are not dedicated for 24/7 usage are the Hard Drive and Fans. But if your computer is idle for 8 hours at night and the Fans don't "eat dust and smoke" all day long it won't make much difference either.

Heat related damage again is mostly duo to human failure or missing maintenance.
      Your hardware is more likely to fail if you switch it on right after cooling (e.g. open window or laptop left in the car during cold periods) than when it's idle all the time. Features like cpu throttling (AMD Cool'n'Quiet, Intel SpeedStep) keep your CPU at a minimum power and low temperature.

We had an Cisco Switch with an uptime of 3 years and ~43 weeks and the only reason we couldn't break 4yrs was because of a total power shutdown we had to do. Sure one could argue that Switches are aimed for this usage but at the end of the day the PCB, capacitors and the FAN inside is no different from those in your computer.

16. vietvet52

i do now,.

17. Vin369

I do turn off the computer over night. Since I believe it also needs its fair share of rest :)
    No, the real reason behind is the power consumption. Besides, the whirling noise of the fans inside CPU, is the last thing I want when I am sleeping.
    Sometimes, I have to make an exception, when I need to d/w large files overnight. But majority of the cases, I dont like to keep it running all the time.