Why my files vanished when I tried to transfer files from thumb drive to desktop PC?

tracy September 3, 2010

I’ve got a Lexcon 8 GB thumb drive. It had a few files and picture on it. While loading the pictures on a desktop, they just vanished. Check the thumb drive and everything on it is gone. However, pictures were backed up so that’s okay.

Question is, I thought I could still use the thumb drive but it won’t register. Was going to try to format it, but don’t know how. Any ideas what happened so I can avoid the same trouble in the future? Thanks.

Hi
    In my case norton was responsible so when i inserted my usb key norton thought was a virus so formated my usb key, so if you would like to transfert files there are some syncing soft that will make easier. Set your security soft to ignore the usb key and to be recognized as safe.

2. ukohara

hey Tracy, let me share my experience with u.... now a days i am going in my neighborhood cyber cafe and all the system there are infected with a viruses. mainly win32FDCsalty. i download plenty of stuff daily in my pendrive and all the files gets infected. this is not any problem for me but the problem starts after the scanning of pen drive with my SEP 11.0 all the viruses are removed..when i open the pen drive all the files are shown but the files i saved in folders disappears.. first time i was really pissed off on myself that how it is possible...did i accidentally saved those files on other locations or anti virus quarantines them... but the files were not in the quarantine folder.. i got confused how that could be but then i thought about it and i found a solution. what i did was a very simple trick of windows. i opened the pen drive and clicked on "folder option" on the top left corner menu and clicked on "view."

i saw that my folder settings had been changed automatically (perhaps due to viruses in pen drive) it was showing to not show hidden files ans folders. i selected the option "show hidden files and folders" and unchecked "hide protected operating system files" option i clicked "apply" and "ok."
    to my surprise this tick worked and the folder previously invisible were visible again. i right clicked on the one folder and go to properties. it was marked read only i unmarked it and transfered it on my HDD. SO U JUST DO THIS TRICK MAYBE IT WORK FOR U... IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY WITH ME BUT I KNOW HOW TO TACKLE THIS PROBLEM... AND KEEP IN MIND ALWAYS ACCESS YOUR THUMBDRIVE FROM ADDRESS BAR... NEVER TRY TO OPEN IT BY DOUBLE CLICKING IT..COZ IF U DO U ARE GETTING INFECTED SYSTEM BECAUSE U ARE EXECUTING THE VIRUSE PROG.. BY CLICKING ON THE DRIVE.

AND THERE IS A VERY USEFUL SMALL UTILITY IN CASE UR PENDRIVE SHOWS MSGS LIKE "WINDOWS CANNOT FORMAT THIS DRIVE" OR "DRIVE IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PROG." OR FROM UR DESKTOP UR UNABLE TO DELETE ANY PROG. OR FOLDER OR FILE WITH THE SAME ABOVE MENTIONED WARNINGS LIKE FILE IN USE THEN DOWNLOAD IT AND INSTALL IT.

THE NAME OF THE UTILITY IS UNLOCKER. VERY SMALL APPLICATION (0.8MB) . IT WILL SHOW IN UR RIGHT CLICK MENU. JUST RIGHT CLICK ON THE DRIVE OR FILE AND SELECT UNLOCK IT. THE PROGRAMME WILL SEARCH FOR ANY LOCKING HANDLE AND WILL ASK U TO DELETE THE FILE OR UNLOCK IT OR TO QUIT. SELECT THE UNLOCK IT AND U R DONE NOW U CAN DO WHATEVER U WANT TO DO WITH THE DRIVE AND FILES. U CAN FORMAT THE DRIVE AND IT WONT BEHAVE ABNORMALLY..U CAN KEEP OR DELETE THE FILES AS U WISH..VERY HANDY APP.

I HOPE THIS WORKS OUT FOR U.. BYE N TAKE CARE.

Tracy,

I'm not sure what went wrong when you tried to copy files from your thumb drive. It sounds like they vanished into thin air, but that is unlikely.

Let's troubleshoot why the files disappeared.
    What operating system are you using on your desktop PC?
    Did you refresh the folder after trying to copy the files? Maybe it just didn't update.
    Maybe you accidentally deleted the files while they were highlighted. Did you look in the Recycle Bin?

Now for your thumb drive. What exactly do you mean with 'it won't register'. You said you checked the thumb drive and saw that all pictures were gone. Are you no longer able to access the drive? Do you still see it listed as removable drive?

Assuming your drive is still listed and you're using Windows, here is how you can format the drive. First, back up all remaining files, then go to > My Computer and right-click your thumb drive. You should see a menu with an option called > Format.... Click it and a window will pop up. > Start with the default settings or check > Quick Format first.
    Here is a picture: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/images/format.jpg

If you can manage to access the drive, test whether the problem occurs again. In any case, if you suspect something is wrong with the thumb drive, I would not trust it. You can use it to transfer files from one computer to another, but don't store anything important on it, unless you have at least one reliable backup.