Is it true that Android is virus proof?

DrSunil Vaswani February 1, 2012

Is it true that Android is virus-proof?

1. Mahkoe

Android is secure, but only to a certain degree. No, it is not virus proof, it is virus resistant. I for one am very disappointed that the marketplace doesn't do anything to prevent viruses. If they do, then I'm not aware of it.

• Mahkoe

On a side note, the standard UNIX file and execute permissions at least provide more security than windows phone. Another side note: iOS uses these as well

2. Ljubent

NO.

iOS is virus proof, you just got it the wrong way round is all. 

• Bruce James

Wrong

RIGHT. 

4. Robert Ruedisueli

No, but it is more virus resistant that Windows.Android's design is highly resistant the spread of viruses between programs and into areas of the system you have not authorized the program for.Additionally malware or worms can occur which utilizes the permissions given to the affected program to spread itself, send ads to the user, manipulate network data, spy on the user, or spread itself on the Internet.

The worst form of malware on Android are Root Kits, which embed themselves into the underlying OS to gain root authority so they can do almost anything without gaining permission through the users, and they can be extremely difficult to remove without damaging the underlying system.  There is at least one root kit known for each version of Android, however most for Android 2.3 or later require the use of developer's tools to install, making it hard, if not impossible for them to be spread through worms and viruses.Notably Root Kits are not all Malware.  They have some constructive uses.  They can be used to embed last-resort access for crashed systems, and provide diagnostic tools that are independent of the rest of the system and thus function during early stage boot or when other segments of the OS are not functional.  They can also be used to jailbreak phones.  They basically can run any code on the kernel or system level of an Operating System.

• Goodysunny

Can you please tell where the call settings for call divert and call waiting are located specfically from settings to menu and submenu. In settings for Android 2.2 tablet which I use(HCL AM7A1) there is no call menu seen. But I saw an icon for call fwd on top left of start screen when I set call fwd manually by using operator code dialling. On double clicking it few settings like those for call menu are seen (such as fixed dial on) but cannot get to main call menu. So please locate for me the call menu

This is unrelated to the original question, please post a new one to get a better response. 

5. Cristian Agüero

Is not true, that the price of being one of the most popular mobile OS.

6. Trauma_31

No is not! 

7. Keegan

Pretty much every OS is prone to viruses. Everyone thought the iOS was immune and then there was a hack to run unsigned code. Android has had many cases of viruses, especially because of its application approval process, people can make pretty much whatever they want.

A jailbreak is not the same as a virus, dont confuse the two. 

I think he is talking about the pdf venerability that was made infamous with jailbreak.me. I never tried it myself, but you could also install malware with that venerability, I think. There was quiet a bit of controversy over that, that said, Never tried it myself and don't know of it ever being in the wild. 

But no one ever did - use that vulnerability to install malware, I mean. Presumably, it could have been, but it wasnt. So, virus free, as it stands. 

8. K-Hines

No, although you can get anti-virus apps from the android market that will help keep viruses off your android device. 

Hello, No, Android is not virus proof, nothing really is in one way or another.  The virus/viruses that have shown in Android are mostly due to the fact that there is not much control on the apps available.  It has been recommended in the past to use an antivirus on android.   Avast is a free option if you are interested:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity&hl=en

10. Dave Parrack

Android is far from virus-proof.  But then no operating system is, as far as I'm aware.

11. M.S. Smith

Unfortunately that is not true. There already have been malware attacks on Android. I've written about them

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-malware-increased-472-percent-july-news/