How can I troubleshoot why my Blu-Ray player suddenly doesn’t work?

Don Morrison August 10, 2011

I have a HP computer running Windows 7. My Blu-Ray player doesn’t work anymore. I have updated the driver, but it still doesn’t work. What do I do now?

1. Pat_austin_69

my blu ray player isint work good everytime i put a disk in it it gose through the previews over and over again

hello, you are not the only one having problems playing those movies.....have you tried cleaning your disks before playing them?...sometimes, new disks have a coating of powder on them....if you clean them before playing, most times they work. 

• Dwmorrison411

It is cleaned.  Still doesn't work.  Should I reintall the driver?

Do the disks play ok on other Blu-Ray players? You can try to re-install the driver.

3. Dwmorrison411

I am in Region 1.  The strange is that it plays most other blu-ray dvd's. The only problems that I have run into is with Iron Man 2 & Avatar so far.

Correction made...Thanks.

Hello, did you try to update the chipset driver too? Also, have you checked if there is/are any firmware updates for the drive? Does your hp have media smart?  If it does you can follow the next steps to check for firmware updates:

-- Open MediaSmart and click on the DVD icon.
    -- Click the gear icon at the bottom
    -- Settings page will open
    -- Click on the update tab
    -- click on the:  Update your
    Mediasmart button it will show the most recent update

It would be appreciates if you could post more information about your drive not working.  For example, does your drive recognizes dvd/cds, etc., when you open the tray and insert a blu ray/dvd/cd, what happens?, do you get any errors?, etc. 

• Dwmorrison411

There aren't any updates available.  Also, It plays some blu-rays.  But not my Avatar or my Iron Man 2 Blu-ray.  After I put in my Iron Man 2 blu-ray, it goes through the previews, but when it is about to start the movie, an error comes up.  it says a Runtime Error comes up. So the error says Program... ram fIles (x86) (Hewltett PackardMediaDvdHPPVD SMART.EXE. So I take it out & put in my copy that isn't blu-ray & it plays.

Hello, have you tried reinstalling the mediasmart program?  From the error you are getting there is probably some corruption on your mediasmart program with regards to some blu-rays.  Are you by any chance connecting your computer to a tv?  It happens some times when you use the clone function...that means when you are playing the bluray on the computer and showing in on a tv and the computer monitor at same time. 

It could also be a problem with the region on the blu-ray player.  Check in the settings for your player and see if it is using the right area for you.  To do so, do the following: 

-- click on computer
        -- highlight and right click your blu-ray drive
        -- select properties
        -- select the hardware tab
        -- highlight your drive
        -- click on the properties box
        -- select the Region tab
        -- make sure that it is set for your region, if not change it to your region
        -- click on ok and ok

Keep in mind that you can only change the region up to 5 times.  When the 5 times are used, you can not change the region anymore.

As a trial to see if it is a software problem, have you tried using any other media players to see if the same thing happens?

Hello, just a shot in the dark....have you tried cleaning the disk that don't play before trying to watch them...

• Dwmorrison411

What is meant by region?

There are several regions or geographical areas in the world.  If you are in Canada/US/Mexico, etc you are in region 1.  For example, if you were to get a dvd/blu ray from europe and try to play it in your dvd, it would not play unless you change the region in your dvd player to europe....unless you have a dvd player that is region free that is. 

Press the start orb and in the search box type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes. When the dialog listing all of your drivers appear, do you see anything with an icon with an exhumation point or question mark? Anything unusual with your blue-ray driver?

• Dwmorrison411

Where is the start orb?