Is it tricky to install Skype on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS?

Jpa42 August 2, 2014

1. My OS is Linux-Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
2. From what I have heard, installing Skype on it is near impossible and/or just a bag of nuisances. Is this true or not ?
Thanks for reply. JPA

1. Jeff F

This is false. There are plenty of walk-through tutorials available online to guide you along the way. You can do it.

• Jean Pierre Abgottspon

Dear MUOA contributors, Thanks for giving me tips and advices. In the end I decided not to use Skype.
      Reasons: 1. For a long while it simply would not work until I discovered that my 'downloaded version' never could work unless one UPDATED it. (Mind you I went thru this all with the help of SYNAPTIC MANAGER). I guess there is still a sort of discrimination between LINUX and the rest of the world.
      2. Once it got all just about getting going, I discovered that one is sort of walked thru a series of hurdles which make sure that you get clubbed with 'cheap' and 'advantageous' communications rates. I guess the LINUX community is not inclined to contribute to MICROSOFT's personel on holiday expenses on Hawai beaches. Bye bye Skype!

It is now dead simple as you can get it from the Partner Repository. Just follow these steps:

Search for 'Software Sources' in Unity Dash and open it.
    Click on the 'Other software' tab.
    Select both of the 'Canonical Partner' entries.
    Exit and hit the 'OK' button to reload the software.

Skype will now show up in the Software Center for installation.

3. Aboubakr M

nice

No, it's trivially easy. I've installed Skype on a couple of such systems and never had any trouble.