For travel to Europe what are the advantages of a Google Chromebook computer?

January 20, 2014

For travel to Europe, does a Google Chromebook laptop offer any advantage over a tablet?

1. Bo

Chrome would be the best choice if I could be assured one thing.

I want software support that assures me that all my personal data is only on the cloud protected by password. I want to be able to reassure myself, at the push of a button, that the book itself has nothing I would regret losing.

That alone is the big promise I want from a portable book. I can live with a lot of other features plus or minus but that security would make me buy a chrome book over a windows.

2. Artem Ushakov

I won't take both of them, just because:
    a) I am preferably an Ubuntu user and I have all my work saved there and all the software I need (with analogs too);
    b) I am not familiar with Chromebook, so I do not want to be badly surprised due to the lack of experience.
    I won't take Windows too, just because it is too buggy usually and is not as reliable as Ubuntu, which has the built-in VPN connection (it is not a problem to set up on any other OS), so it is a way more faster.

Imho, of course

I don't see any benefit with using a Chromebook, other than a larger screen and attached keyboard with touchpad. Most tablets can use a Bluetooth keyboard or use an OTG cable to attach a USB keyboard and mouse, so the keyboard isn't much of a factor (get the right tablet and attachable keyboard with battery and the battery life of the tablet almost doubles). This leaves a larger screen size, which would most likely cause the battery life to be much less than a decent tablet can offer (especially when an attached keyboard with battery backup can get a tablet to have more than 12 hours battery life).

That said, most tablets have built-in GPS, whereas Chromebooks do not. You can purchase a GPS or a standalone GPS navigator (which would be costly), but that would mean more devices or attachments to worry about. Most tablets allow for the installation of Google Chrome browser so you can sync bookmarks and other information. Also, tablets offer many different offline applications, games, and other uses in a smaller and lighter package (including a more maneuverable camera for video conferencing, video taking, and picture taking). Also, offline translator apps, currency converters, and other very useful apps for travel can be downloaded to a tablet, in which the tablet can be more easily transported for use in restaurants, stores, and other places; it is less obtrusive and embarrassing than having to take out a Chromebook, open it up, turn it on, find a wireless access point and connect to the internet, if necessary.

Honestly, I don't see much use of Chromebooks except for people that only browse the internet since all it is is an internet connected device that utilizes a web browser and web apps. The processors are generally weak, storage space abysmal, are overly bulky just for browsing the web and using a few web apps, and very limited on usability without an internet connection.

• Tom S

"I don’t see much use of Chromebooks except for people that only browse the internet since all it is is an internet connected device that utilizes a web browser and web apps. "
      E.G. the older user
      But I use Google Docs for collaborating on writing projects, and some apps are useful too, so in a multi-computer household, it has a place

• Dalsan M

Yes, there are specific cases where I can see a Chromebook useful, but only for specific limited audiences and very basic usage. It actually is good for the majority of computer users since most of what basic users do is browse the web. For me, though, I wouldn't find a Chromebook worth it over a decent tablet, but only on addition to a desktop and/or desktop computer.

Many large tablets are half the weight of Chromebooks, you can decide whether to use the keyboard or leave it in hotel. Chromebooks screen resolution are not so great (1366 x 768 pixels) exception of the very pricey Chromebook. Tablets have Higher resolutions, brighter screens for instance Nexus 7 both pack 1920 x 1200p screens. You will have to enable Offline Mode on Chromebooks to use your email or documents when you are not connected to the Internet. Concerning battery life in general tablets last longer on a charge compared to Chromebook. For Pointing Devices and Keyboard Chromebook is best. If your goal is to stay online then Chromebook is better but Chromebooks lose a lot of their potency away from the Web

HP Pavilion 14 Chromebook Review
    http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-chromebook-pavilion.aspx

5. Matt S

Well...some Chromebooks can do cellular data, so you might have better Internet access with them. I know at least the Samsung has this. Some Windows laptops also offer this option, but they're a lot more expensive.

On the downside, battery life probably won't be as good as with a good Windows notebook or a Mac Pro, and performance can feel slow at times. Personally I would not choose the Chromebook, because it's best as a companion PC for a person with a desktop, and doesn't excel when it's your only computer.