How can I transfer videos from a mini DV tape to my computer without Firewire?

jimmy April 9, 2011

How can I transfer a miniDV tape to a Windows XP computer without a Firewire cable ?

1. Saurav

Well I encountered a similar problem while working with an old sony camcorder which recorded in mini dv format. Later versions of most camcorders possess an additional USB port which can be used to capture the video from your camcorder to your computer, this is done while the video plays at accelerated speed on your camcorder. Generally the software for this is provided with the miniDV camcorder, if not try using PinnacleStudio, older versions of their program could do that.

• Adambmstar10

i have the old sony cam that you had. so i am wondering, how do i burn the video on the mini dvd to my computer. so when i take the disc out, the vid will be on my computer
      please message me back at: adambmstar10@hotmail.com

Saurav and Adam,

I recommend that you submit your own questions. Please click the Ask a Question button on http://www.makeuseof.com/answers

2. Gustavo Ibarg├╝engoytia

Do you still have the recording device? What is the make (brand) and model of the recorder? What video inputs does your computer have? If your video recorder has a SD slot you can try re-recording from the miniDV to the SD memory from within the videorecorder.