How can I transfer all the pictures from my iPhone to my computer in one step?

Carly May 26, 2011

Is there a way to transfer all my pictures from my iPhone to my computer without having to individually email them to myself or upload them to Facebook? I have almost 900 pictures and I want to move them all together and then delete them from my phone.

1. Elise1606

when i click on iphone and it appear internal storage.. so wat am i going to do next

2. cedomir

kako da sa htc toucha 2 skinem slike na pc molim ako mozete odma da odgovorite...koji program da skinem...hvala

3. Hannah

How do I view my DCIM on my Ipod so I can put stuff on it

4. X_summer_love_2011

i have set up my iphone to i tunes and my computer i have lots of different files in my phone for the pictures which i did not set up my phone did this automatically i can get all my pictures off the camera roll folder but non from the other folders and i have over 500 :(  and cant find them when i go in to itunes or when i plug my phone in either.. please any one help as i am selling my phone!!!!!!!!

5. Sam Mchugh

if your using mac go to iphoto open your iphone and click import all simples

6. Hannah Gus

Thank you so much! I have been struggling with this for a long time and finally an answer! So so appreciated! 

7. Kim

i am very confused i have synced and updated my iphone to the computer and have lost all my photos off my iphone and cant find them anywhere on my computer!!! not  happy have lost photos and videos of my grandson that i CANT GET BACK.. any suggestions ?

Kim,

I noticed that your question was not answered, even after 5 days. If you're still looking for a solution, I recommend you ask a new question here. It will be posted on the front page of MakeUseOf Answers, where it will be seen by a lot more people than within this comment thread.

8. Kyle Porcher

If anyone wants to pull photos from their iPhone to a MAC, go to your 'Applications' folder, then double click on 'Image Capture.' If your phone is connected to the computer you will see all of the photos on your phone. At this point you can select to Import some of your pictures or all of them.

• Angiesparadise2003

Thanks Kyle. That was my question but everyone was assuming transfer to a windows computer. I have only Apple products but still dnt knw half of what they can do. I hve over 900 pics that I want to transfer from my IPhone to my Mac.. Can't figure out how. But I will try what you suggest hopefully it works!

Angie,

did you try Kyle's suggestion and did it work? Please let us know. Thank you!

• Arghhh!!

Thank you Kyle!
      FINALLY! - a straight fwd answer on how to pull images from the damn phone.  I love everything apple but I don't get why anything related to photos 'requires one to take a class'.  Any other photo app *(except for Adobes, they're part of that lets make it difficult for anyone to install their apps and begin using immediately)allows a user to install and use out of the box. Install; go the folder where the image is stored; tweak the image and save it; DONE! Try that with iPhoto or Aperture out the box. I don't get it!! everything else is straight forward why not the photo apps??Anyways sorry for the rant - Thank you Kyle for providing a straight forward answer.Yes it worked!

• Debbie

Thank you so much.  This was exactly what I needed.  MAC's are so much easier than PC's.  You can tell by looking at your instructions how simple it is to use a MAC!  Thanks again!

• Victor1344

Thanks Kyle!! I was able to transfer my iPhone pictures to my new Mac Air in a blink...

• La_gueraukiah

What If it's iPhone3 to a pc not a Mac?

• Cyrus Carter

Thank you Kyle.  I am surprised this is not obvious on an Apple product.  It took me a bit of searching to find your helpful post.

Pls can you help me with something. I see your post is from a long time ago but its the only one that made sense to me.

Can I do the same thing you mentioned with an iPod?

9. Leclare Lawson

My iPhone is linked to another iTunes which belongs to an ex boyfriend of mine. When I synced it on his computer I pulled pictures from his laptop (Mac) and put them on the iPhone. It created a photo library and I have over 300 pictures of my daughter. I can't sync the iPhone with my current boyfriend's laptop (windows) and iTunes because it will erase all the pictures. The photo library doesn't show up on the hard drive and I would like to get those pictures off my iPhone. How can I get the photo library photos on this laptop without syncing it to the iTunes.

Leclare,

hardly anyone is going to see your question here. If you do not receive a response, feel free to re-post your question by clicking the 'Ask a Question' button in the top left of MakeUseOf Answers.

• Keith Barrett

I'm having a similar problem. Had this question been asked somewhere else and answered?

10. mmccoy20

Thanks Carly I think that was what I needed also

11. Mis Cara

THANKYOU SO MUCH CARLY!!!!! funny thing is i've always had a passcode on my phone from day dot & up untill today it has always popped up & asked to import pic's, so it was sooooo confusing as to why all of a sudden today it didn't

12. Original Paulie D

Since the Windows 7 "Import pictures and videos" wizard lacks any user-friendly options (only allows importing ALL photos .. not selective as it did on Windows XP), I prefer to choose "Open device to view files" and then manually copy / move them to my computer.

Unfortunately, this option opens Explorer at the root photo folder; namely Internal Storage.  Inside that folder is the familiar DCIM folder, however, it's comprised of a large set of folders named "100APPLE", "101APPLE" and so on. One's photos can and usually are spread across more than one of these folders. To quickly locate photos, use the Search feature to look for "jpg OR png" (note: OR operator is case-sensitive). To find photos and videos, search for "img", since all media files are prefixed as such.

Here's the slightly-tricky part: Windows 7 won't allow you to copy mutiple files from the Search Results window. In fact, you'll get an error if you try "Error 0x80030001: Unable to perform requested operation." The work-around is to select *one* file from the results list and choose "Open File Location". This will take you to the folder where the file resides .. then you can copy / move it from that view.  Repeat this process, until you've copied/moved all the desired files.

All the best,
    Original Paulie D ~ Aug 2011

13. Carly

Ok, yes, it was something enormously obvious! I researched online some more and found so many different answers but hidden in some random thread somewhere was a guy that said the following: 
    "The iPhone will not transfer photos to your computer if the device is locked and you are using a passcode. If you want to transfer photos, simply unlock (Slide to unlock and enter passcode) your device to transfer photos.Note: Plug the iphone to your computer in unlocked mode."I keep a passcode on my phone to keep my kids off of it and I never would have thought that would be why. Once I changed my settings and plugged it in, my device popped up and so did my pictures! Now I wonder if iTunes will do it automatically since the passcode is disabled.Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks a lot for posting your solution, Carly!

• Rui

god! :))
      just solved my problem :)
      thanks,
      Rui

• Jim

FINALLY - I always wondered why this worked sometimes and not others.   I password protect mine since it's a business phone, and never realized the times it worked was when it was already unlocked.   so simple.

• Hemal Pandya

Are you saying iTunes transfers photos from Device to Computer? All other info I can find days it does not. In the Photos tab for my iPhone, iTunes only has option for transferring for copying from computer to iPhone, not the other way.

• christine

I just read your answer now and you totally saved me!!! thank you so much :) Glad you found the answer! 

• Eddie

Thank you Carly! Like you said, soooooo simple....!

• Prasa

Many thanks carly...u reduced my bandwidth

I may be missing something enormously obvious, but doesn't iTunes do this for you automatically?

• Carly

Well that's what I would have thought but it doesn't do it when I sync unless it's hiding them somewhere. They aren't in my pictures folder and I haven't come across a folder anywhere else. I also synced my daughter's iPod on this computer and her pictures did show up in my pictures folder but not as a file type that my computer recognizes.

This should be an easy thing to do and I feel like I'm making it difficult!

15. fruitgeek

Download iPhone Explorer from Macroplant.com. Plug in the iPhone USB cable. Find the DCIM folder and copy all the pictures from it. This is fundamentally better than emailing the pics to yourself because when you email them, your iphone compresses then in some situations. This works on both Macs and PCs.

• Carly

I did download this but it won't let me transfer the entire library, only one picture at a time. I'm thinking I have to buy the full version but at least for now it's a start.

16. Brad Hallam

Assuming you're using Windows, go to My Computer and your iPhone should be listed there. Double click until you find the pictures located on your iPhone. Then, you can copy and paste them wherever you want them, then they can be deleted from your iPhone at your computer or on your iPhone. This has worked for me on my iPod Touch 4th generation, so it should work on iPhone.
    If you're using a Mac, sorry, but I'm not experienced with Macs. You should be able to find the iPhone as if it were a USB thumb drive, but that's all I can give.

• Carly

When I plug my phone in, it doesn't show up on My Computer. I'm sure it should but I don't know why it doesn't. I use Windows Vista, not sure if that makes a difference.

• Jback

double clicking on the iphone only tells the space used

• Kim

Thanks so much, I have been looking for something this simple for a pc.

• Kim

Thanks! I have been searching for something like this for a pc! Very simple.

• Ebony

Thank u so much Brad!!!!!