How can I transfer iPad book highlights and notes to my laptop?

Pierce Howard March 1, 2011

I’ve switched from Kindle to iPad for reading eBooks. With Kindle, to copy highlighted areas and notes to Word docs, I simply connected the device to my laptop and accessed the notes/highlights on the Kindle as an external drive. I can’t figure out how to access my highights/bookmarks on the iPad and copy them to a Word document.

1. David Nichols

Ok, I think I figured this out.  I have converted some pdfs to read on my ipad using kindle but like you I could not figure out how to collect my highlights and notes into a word document.  After I finished my highlighting, I made sure the document was sent to my kindle 3 and when I opened up the document, all the highlights I made on the ipad kindle app, they were there.  Then, you can usb the kindle to your computer and copy paste them over into word.  A bit awkward and there must be a better way.  Now, I need to check to make sure further highlights made on my pdf document on the ipad appear on my kindle after I synch.  

Thank a lot for sharing your solution, David!

• David Nichols

I spoke too soon! When I look at my kindle 3, the highlights are there that I made from my ipad kindle but when I go to clippings, they are not there.  The only way to get the highlights into clippings is to go back and re-highlight them in the kindle and then they show up and you can copy/paste into word.  A real pain.  I hope my new kindle touch is not the same way or I am going to be one unhappy camper! 

Sorry about that

Pierce,

did you try the suggestions above and did you succeed in transferring your highlights and notes to your laptop? Let us know in case you need more help. Thank you!

• Jane

No I couldn't transfer them.

3. Pc Techguy3

If you can copy&paste your highlights, notes and bookmarks, them paste them into the Note pad on the IPAD and email them to your self, This is a workaround but then you can put them into word that way. I do this with other apps I use...

• Jamesbond19007

What do I do, if I can't receive the note even if I emailed it to my email?

• Jamesbond19007

Hello, if you are using iBooks to read your books and make notes you can access your highlights and notes the following way:

-- tap on the Table of Contents button
    -- tap Bookmarks
    -- find Highlights and Notes under Bookmarks

This article might provide some help for you too:
    http://bigthink.com/ideas/30602