How can I transfer my Firefox add-ons to a new computer?

Debbie May 29, 2010

Will I have to re-download them all one by one? What about bookmarks, etc.?

1. miles

there is an addon called FEBE. Its meant to specifically backup firefox extensions. Download, and install it. create a backup, then on your new machine, install FEBE, and tell it to restore your previously backup up extension file.

2. Steve Campbell

I'm pretty sure Firefox has a built in export feature that allows you to save all of your bookmarks and settings externally. Once you do that, just go back into the newly installed Firefox and choose import settings.

Hey Steve

The default Firefox import/export feature works only for favorites/bookmarks and not for other profile data like extensions and settings.

Steve, the default Firefox import/export feature is only for bookmarks
      it doesn't support extensions.

The easiest app I have found to backup/restore complete Firefox profile
      is MozBackup

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/back-up-your-firefox-profile-with-mozbackup/

Aibek

Debbie,

all your settings, bookmarks, and extensions are stored in your user profile. I just did this again, recently and it worked like a charm. All you have to backup is your Firefox profile. Once you re-install Firefox or go to another computer, either direct Firefox to your profile or replace the contents in the .default profile with the ones from your profile.

You'll find your profile under C:Documents and SettingsWindows user nameApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles. The profile with the "extension" .default should be yours.

To redirect Firefox to a new profile, start it with the profile manager. Go to > Start > Run and type "Firefox.exe -profilemanager" (without quotations). Within the profile manager you can create a new profile and browse for its location.

Let us know in case you need anymore help.

• Debbie

Thanks for your help!

I highly recommend using MozBackup, used it several times myself.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Oh and Debbie, if you want to keep your browser bookmarks synchronized across many different computers and browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome) then try Xmarks.