How can I transfer my files from Windows to Ubuntu?

lloyd burgett October 14, 2011

How can I transfer my Windows files to my Ubuntu operating system?

1. Rootessa

Seriously, with Unbuntu nothing ever gets any easier than the information in those links. I've been fighting with it for over a year. I don't have time to learn a whole new language.  I don't know about you. Ubuntu is a great system but it's sadly flawed as is some of the information and guidance you'll recieve as you try to feel your way along. You'll ask a question of the "experts" and get 10 different answers. Once you've struggled your way thru all 10 solutions. you might find one that works!

It's a matter of perception ~ UNIX may seem like an operating system for experts while it really just does stuff step by step. 

In Windows you are used to click a box or run an installer without knowing what steps are really happening in the background.

If you ever run into an error you'd wish Windows was more like UNIX in doing things step by step because it allows you to easily find the step where something failed. 
    Instead if Windows shows an error you really have to start engineering to find the actual problem.

Nahhh.

Enter Dropbox. Install it on both your Ubuntu and Windows system/partition. Then it's just a matter of uploading files to the cloud, then downloading them from the cloud on your other partition. 

Ubuntu isn't a difficult distribution, you're just spoiled by the simplicity of Windows.

• Akshay Mane

If we can do things in simple manner..........Why complicate?

Tell me sme gud reasons?

m a fresher to ubuntu

4. Fatdaddy2859

they are on the same computer.thanks,i'll try the guide and ley you know!

If both are installed on the same computer the simplest option should be to access the Windows partition via Ubuntu. The partition should be mounted automatically otherwise you can follow this guide.

If they are on separate computers I suggest to connect them to the same network and then simply enable file sharing on the Windows computer and access it via Ubuntu. You can also do it the other way around by setting up a SAMBA share on Ubuntu, access it on the Windows computer and copy the files.

• Akshay Mane

In second case............... How to do it????????????

Plz tell in details

Copy your data on Use pen drive/ usb hard disk, cd/dvd, then copy to ubuntu.

• Akki

Cmon dude.......U cant be so dumb/chu