How do I transfer files from my TiVo to my Linux box?

Jorge Sierra February 4, 2010

You can use TiVo Desktop for transferring shows to your Mac or PC. What if you have a Linux box?
Sure I could create a Windows VirtualBox machine and run TiVo Desktop on it or try running TiVo Desktop on Wine, but is there a native Linux application or utility that will do it?

1. GeekLad

I found the answer to my question, so I'll answer it myself. :-D

There's a nice open source (Java) program called kmttg that allows you to download/upload videos from/to your Linux box and your Tivo. It is a frontend to many different utilities for downloading, decrypting, stripping commercials, and uploading back to the Tivo.

The commercial stripping program (Comskip) doesn't have a Linux port, but with a little bit of work, it works fine with wine. It appears the original author of pyTivo (the program to upload back to the Tivo) is no longer working on the project, but there is another developer (wmcbrine) actively working on it. wmcbrine's pyTivo source is available via git.