Is there a way to transfer files between devices wirelessly without using the Internet?
Question by Shawn /

I want to be able to send documents to my laptop from my iPad, and vice versa, using a short-range signal rather than the Internet. I don’t like that I have to my documents to the Internet when my two devices are sitting right next to each other. Is there something I can use to make this simpler?

• Irshaad Abdool

create an ‘Ad-hoc Connection’ on the laptop and put the files in a shared folder. Enable folder Sharing on the laptop. Connect to the Ad-hoc network through the iPad’s Wifi connection, and retreive the files from the Shared folder.

You can also connect the laptop to a router and assign it an ip address.
    1. then install and FTP Server software on the laptop and access the files via wifi from the iPad.

2. You can also install WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) on the laptop. put the files you want to share in the ‘www’ folder. Start the Apache webserver. find the IP adress of your laptop through command prompt via the ‘ipconfig’ command. from your iPad, connect to the network via Wifi, then open your web browser and enter the IP address of the laptop in the Address bar. you will get a page with your files on it to download.

hope that help

• Shawn

Thank you James, I would like to learn more about how to do file transfers between devices locally without using the Internet. Since the iPad doesn’t have a USB I find this to be difficult. Can you lead me through how to do this, I don’t have a clue.

Shawn, I think the crux of your question is the fact that you’re using an iPad here. The iPad isn’t designed to be like a usb drive where you can just trasnfer files off and on it. You add the files to iTunes, then that syncs with the device. In fact, if you have ios5, it happens wirelessly. 

As for short-range wireless, the ipad doesnt do bluetooth file trasnfers. It does have wifi though, which I assume you’re already using, and under the impression that wifi = internet. Not so – wifi is just a short range wireless network, often connected to a central switch. If you perform file trasnfers between local devices, ie, things in your house on the same network – the internet is not used. The internet is only accessed when you request an external resource. In fact, if you unplug the “internet cable” from your router, chances are that your pc and ipad will still function fine for local file transfers. Just because they’re connected to the internet doesnt mean they’re using it for moving files. 

So basically, you should forget this question. It’s not an issue – they already DO trasnfer files via short range radio. Understand?

HOWEVER, you should also know that the line between cloud storage and local storage is being blurred with ios5. While file trasnfers do occur locally, your ipad may also be trying to store a backup of your files in the cloud. This is in addition to any local copies you have, and is apples way of ensuring you can access those files anywhere you like. This only occurs with icloud enhanced apps though, like apples own pages or keynote, for instance. 

• Stivinn Aura

Shawn, simply enable Bluetooth in both devices, and start transferring!

P.s. – for computers and older laptops that miss out on inbuilt-Bluetooth adapters, there are plenty of cheap Bluetooth USB-adapters available in the market.

Hello, How about Connectify? free version is enough:

http://www.connectify.me/features/#!prettyPhotopp_gal/3/

or, How about setting setting an Ad-Hoc Wifi network:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ht/setupadhocwifi.htm

You seem to be missing the point. Making a wifi connection is not difficult, but the process to trasnfer files between machines is.