How do I transfer data using the Windows 7 Easy Transfer Cable?

jachudgins December 27, 2011

I want to transfer all my data from my old Windows XP computer to a new Windows 7 PC. I have a Windows 7 Easy Transfer Cable. How do I transfer the data and which PC do I start with by connecting the monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Hello, all you have to do is make sure both computers are running.  Connect the cable from XP to 7 and once that is done, do the following in windows 7 computer.  Make sure you are using an administrator account:

-- click on start
    -- select accesories
    -- select system tools
    -- select windows easy transfer
    -- click next in box that open
    -- select an Easy Transfer Cable
    -- select This is my new computer
    -- select I need to install it now
    -- connect a USB flashdrive to your windows 7 computer and once that is done, select USB flashdrive

-- your flashdrive should show in screen, select ok

-- the easy transfer utility will be copied to your USB flash drive.  Once copying process is finished, disconnect your flashdrive from new computer and connect it to your XP computer

-- on XP, if easy transfer doesn't start automatically, click on My computer and navigate to your flashdrive

-- find folder named windowsEasyTransfer and open folder.  Depending on your system, choose the folder accordingly.  If your computer is based in an AMD chip, select amd, if it is an intel based, select x86

-- find the following folder:  migwiz and double click on it to install utility to XP

-- Once utility is installed, click on next and it will start the same process as before.  Make sure to select <b<This is my old computer.  Just follow the instructions in the next page.  Answer or select the answer to the questions and the process should finish soon.

As a sidenote, this process would be way easier if instead of cable your use a flashdrive or external USB drive to do it without the cable.  To install Easy transfer on XP when your computers are networked, it would be easier to create a share folder and access the installation files from there.

Migrate XP to Windows 7 with Easy Transfer and a USB Drive
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179/migrate-xp-to-windows-7-with-easy-transfer-and-a-usb-drive/

Windows Easy Transfer is installed by default on Windows Vista and 7, but not on XP or earlier. You can install Easy Transfer Wizard using a USB or external disks when prompted in the Window in the image below. When transferring files from an old computer with Windows Vista OS or Windows 7 OS, or if you have installed the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard on the old computer, you may select “It is already installed it on my old computer” and proceed with the onscreen instructions
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7349