How can I transfer data from my Samsung SGH T401G mobile phone to my PC?

jeff November 1, 2010

I have a Samsung SGH T401G cell phone. I have been told by Samsung that I can use it as a modem and transfer files from PC. However, Samsung told me they can’t help me, even though I bought the data transfer cable from them. They told me my provider has to help, which is straight talk. Well, I’ve called them about 8 times and got no help at all. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you!

1. Linda

It's not working on my computer. I wonder.... Maybe it's because it is
    an older PC? I will try it on another computer on Tuesday I guess. Hope
    it works.

2. Singltrak

My Girlfriend has this phone and is constantly getting text message full and has to delete text before being able to receive more. Is there a way to increase the capacity or back up the texts before deleting?

3. Guest

YES!!!  Worked for me. Thanks

did Gocartjtms suggestion work for you? Please let us know!

5. Gocartjtms

if you are trying to move file like pictures, videos and music to or from your computer and your phone, you must change one setting on your phone. before doing this, make sure phone is not plugged into your computer.

1. go to your phone menu
    2. click on settings or press 9
    3. click on phone settings or press 3
    4. click on usb mode or press 7
    5. select and click on mass storage

after you follow these steps, connect your phone to your computer. when you do this, your computer will say that it is loading this device or a mass storage device. wait till prompted by computer and you are ready to go.

note, music files cannot be selected on your phone as a ringtone or message alert tone due to the files being too large. but you can use listen to these music files on wireless (bluetooth) headsets. which are sold at only a few stores. you cannot listen to your music using a standard wireless earpiece due to compatability issues.

if you have any other questions about phone issues, please feel free e-mailing me at

i hope this information helped you with your phone problems.

• Shymel52

Thank you so much for your post! It is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder why the cellphone companies don't put this information in places where people can find it. Thanks again!

• Helenkettenring

THANK YOU Gocartjtms!!

• Waltstngrl

Thanx, you are the man !

• Rjm422

Do I need to install a micro SD card first?  My pc isn't recognizing the phone.

6. ADzzz

The phone has no windows drivers for it. Therefore you cant do it. I have the phone and it says right on the Samsung website.

Direct from their website:

"Unfortunately, there are no drivers available for your device. We apologize for any inconvenience this may present. You may visit To get more information about your phone."

If the Windows doesn't detect your mobile phone when it's connected via data transfer cable I would suggest installing the drivers for it. Google is your best friend here.

8. M.S. Smith

So you bought a data transfer cable and it doesn't work?

Sounds like your computer may not be detecting the device. Try it on another computer to see if that works.