How can I transfer data from one computer to another?

stan kabrt June 18, 2010

How can I selectively download the contents of my old computer to my new computer?

1. Prateek Kumar Singh

The easiest way is via a cross-over (ethernet) cable.
    Pros: Works on all operating system.
    Works between different OSs.

All you have to do is to
    1. Connect the two PCs via an ethernet cable.
    2. Configure the IP addresses on both PCs.
    3. On one machine, set the IP Address to 192.168.0.1 and on the other 192.168.0.2
    4. Restart both machines.

And You Are All Set.....

You will find your machines in the NETWORK folders of both PCs.

Try pinging both machines if the machines do not show up in the NETWORK directory.

To do this,
    1. Open CommandPrompt(Win Key+R)/Terminal(Ctrl+Alt+T)[on Linux]
    2. Type: ping ex from a machine whose ip is 192.168.0.1, type: ping 192.168.0.2
    3. If packets sent and received are 100%, then its OK.
    4. If not, start over.

It will work...Sooner or later... Trust me...

-Prateek Kumar Singh, INDIA

All the points above are good. Here are a few more.
    If you're moving from an older MS Windows to a newer one (e.g. XP to Win 7), you can use the "File and Settings Transfer Wizard" which will package up neatly the data and settings (you have some control over the categories of material to be archived). You can then use the equivalent on the newer machine to import the data. You can find more info on the Wizard on the Microsoft website or simply by googling it.

If you are on a home network (e.g. both machines on the same router), then another possibility is to set up file sharing on the new machine, accessing it from the old machine and copying the files manually (if you have just data files, this is probably the quickest way)

Finally, you can buy a USB data-transfer cable. Many of these come with a 'data transfer program'.

3. Chris Wong2612

Considering you did not provide any info about your data and OS ... i suggest you use DropBox since it is available for Window , Mac and Linux . You will be also share your files to iphone with apps. All you should is just installing the dropbox client and it will sync the files automatically.

If it is just documents, I would suggest buying an external USB harddrive and putting on the files you want to transfer on to that and then put them on your new computer.

If you want to transfer all your programs as well - that's a little more difficult. But it's best to start from scratch and just transfer your files and program settings.

Hi Stan,

please specify what type of data you want to transfer (programs too?) and what operating system you are using. Thank you!