How can I transfer Android apps from an old SD card to a new one?

Rouel Pengson February 16, 2012

I have an Android phone running Gingerbread. I bought a new SD card and I’m wondering if there is a way to transfer my apps from my old card to the new one, preferably using a PC. Any ideas?

1. Kyle Michler

you prob. have a micro sd card that fits in you phone and if so you can use  an adapter to put the micro sd card in that will allow it to fit in a regular sd card reader weather it is one built into the computer or a reader you bought from the store then you can copy AS IS everything from the old card then insert the new card and past it in it then try it back in the phone again

Hello, if you have enough space in your phone, you could transfer apps to phone,  install the new card and then move the apps to your new card.

• ek

how do you do that???

Carpenter__RichardCarpenter is right. There's nothing special about moving apps (and other data) from one SD card to another. Just make sure you copy everything AS IS (keeping the structure exactly the same). And always save a backup on your pc. just in case..

• Michelle

I tried that, but my apps didn't transfer over. I guess the path was broken. Said application not installed on phone. what did i do wrong?

It should just be a matter of moving the files from one SD card to the other. The only caught would be to make sure that all hidden files are copied too.

Basically put the Copy everything on your old SD card to your computer, then copy everything to your new SD card. 

Of course, if you just want the APKs on the SD you can copy those as well, but making sure to keep all directories intact...

Also once everything is copied, making a zipped backup of the files on your old SD might also be a good idea. 

how do i move the games, apps, files, etc from old sd to my comp???

• sridhar

i couldn't cope all the files to my desktop and tried to copy to my new sd card but some files did not copy,