How do I transcribe speech from a video?

Anonymous January 28, 2014

I’m creating training videos for my employer. I want to record video using a screen capture program and then play the video back and have it transcribed so I have a text document after.

The transcription doesn’t have to be perfect as I will need to go back through the document after to add screen shots as well – what software do you recommend for the transcription process?

I’m using Camtasia for the video and am happy with that and I have tried Dragon Home addition for transcription with no success. Any other suggestions?

1. Hitesh M

I agree with Kihra, manual transcription service provider can help you with best transcribing solution for training videos. Experience and understanding of your industrial niche is the features offered by transcribers and it is not available with any app or transcription software.

Check habiledata.com they have very experienced team of transcribers and are in business from a long time.

2. kihara

Your best bet is manual transcription. If you post the project at a freelance website like Elance or Freelancer, you can get a cheap quotes in the range of $25-50 per video hour. Otherwise, use Express Scribe.

3. DalSan M

There really isn't any software that would take the audio of a video and transcribe it to a written document, at least any that would be very effective. Most of the closed captioning you see on TV is done by human transcribers, which is probably what you would have to do. This is because any background noise that can "drown out" the spoken audio that needs to be transcribed, software would either fail or give out the wrong text. Even if the spoken audio is the sole audio in the video (or audio file, for that matter), if it isn't clear and annunciated properly, many errors would ensue, making it harder and longer to edit the text so that it matches the audio. Believe me, many transcribers have looked into this, and miserable results occur at best (my wife studied to become a medical transcriptionist, and nothing beats the human ear and human mind to decipher what is spoken and what is meant, along with the proper spelling of words).

There may be software, or even websites, that offer subtitling for videos, but the only ones worth using would be paid services with guarantees for their work.

Dragon Dictate and Dragon Naturally Speaking are pretty much top dogs in this game, and as you rightly observed, they're far from perfect too. Your best bet is to do the transcription manually (there are audio typists who will do the work for you over the internet, so that's also a possibility).
    To facilitate transcription, you can use software like Express Scribe or F4, which make the process much easier, but stop short of automatic speech recognition.