How can I track my stolen cellphone?

Sandra Neria July 4, 2012

$700 worth of stuff was stolen from me, how can I track my Android cellphone? And no I don’t have any apps to locate it downloaded. My phone company Virgin mobile won’t help me at all.

1. Harjeet Kaur

Hii im alisha a week ago I lost my blackburry and its turned of I rly need to find it because we r gonna have a prom at high skl nd I NEED my phone to take picz whay shall I do!! :(?

2. yahya

i have lost my samsung star what i can do for it i have no sim

3. Sherelda

Can you please help me track down my Blackberry Torch. The Shop did not insure it due it was buying cash, hopeless.

4. maria aguiar

hiya my samsung galaxy s3 was stolen my someone at a party yesterday could you please help me track the location where it is

If your phone did had Google latitude and GPS turned on,you can track it by visiting the site of Google Latitude.

5. naresh kumar prajapati

yrr hlp me i have lost my samsung phone.i havent turned on my mobile tracking system nor gps nd i want them yrr plzz help me

6. chintan shah

I had stolen my Nokia X2-02 Cellphone on dated 15/12/12 . how can i found it or block the mobile

Did the above solutions mentioned above were helpful to you?

Did you tried tracking via IMEI or reporting your carrier to block your SIM to prevent any misuse?

7. dariella anna cortez

i lost my phone at bar last nte...and its a android cricket phone, mthe phone is dead i made calls and text messages but no respond... i know someone geabbed it i can prove it..i hope i can find my phone!!!!!:(

All you can do now is to contact Cricket and ask them to block its IMEI to prevent any form of misuse.

8. Asser Fouad

Can anyone help me please, my IPhone 4S has just been stolen and i need to find an online way to track it using the IMEI or the serial.
    Please if anyone can help me, your kind reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much

9. lane ball

my phone was lost how do i find it i got it 3 days ago and lost it wat should i doo i have no app to help me please help?????

10. Sebastian

Thanks for the help

11. philander ryngkhlem

I need my last called record no.

12. Nisarg

Hi All,

I recently lost my android phone - HTC Incredible S (359836047414846 IMEI).
    Mail me if any detail's available - Reward will be given!

• vineet

how could so many ppl be careless in a world full of thief...:P

u guys should be more careful..

and btw u wont be able to find a handset which is already gone. I am claiming it based on the no. of success stories ( equivalent to nill.) found on internet.

So chill-out and buy some cheap mobile which even if is lost wont hurt.

13. mohangugaliya

i lost my anrold note mobile today

14. shruti nagrath

i lost my android phone about 3 days back. how can i trace it now using the IMEI number?

15. Sourav pran hazarika

My mobile phone have stolen. Details are given bellow
    Model- Nokia C2-02
    IMEI No.- 359292048249783
    Sim No.- REMOVED
    Please help me.

16. patricia artis

how do i track my stolen phone????

17. s mary

i lost my handset its a normal china handset i have some important contact numbers in that and i want dailed is it possible to find out this details

18. Ghazwan orabi

my cellphone samsung its stolen i have IME
    please help me

Did you go through Royce's suggestion above which is very explanatory in nature.

19. Suresh Bhati

How can i trace my lost samsung mobile phone

• Royce

1. Tracking software only works if your phone is lost/misplaced not stolen.

A thief will surely :
      a) throw away your SIM (thus disconnecting your data connection) ,
      b) do a factory reset wiping all user data & installed apps (easy to do from settings),
      c) remove, format and sell your SD Card,
      d) maybe even format your internal storage,
      e) maybe even re-flash your phone (lots of info available online)

So any installed apps are useless in locating a stolen phone.

Apps like Plan-B are useless too, due to point (a) above.

These are useful only in case like you dropped it while in the countryside etc. If a good samaritan finds it, he will try to contact you, or take it to the cops. But if a thief takes it, no app can save you.

Your only hope is the IMEI number, which will not change even after re-flashing. But for this, the new user will have to insert a SIM card, then the IMEI number can be tracked via service providers network.

So, DO NOT block your lost phone ... only deactivate the SIM.
      In any case blocking a phone works only within specific circles./countries.
      Besides,If you block the phone, it will be useless to the thief, so he cannot sell/use it .... so, no SIM = no hope !

Also, always make a police complaint, even as just a formality, to protect yourself form any misuse of your phone (IMEI is still linked to the you, the purchaser).

• Vivek

thank u Royce! that;s very simple n straightforward & clear for many who lost/stolen their phones including me! recently my brand new iPhone 4s was stolen, it means so much to me...!

20. Aniket Singh

u cannot track ur mobile coz there is no software for that yet........but u can get help from police

21. Abhishek

How can I find my phone with IMEI number

22. magnolia

i can not find my phone i lost it

23. jay

i lost my sony ericsson xperia arc s i lost it yesterday and don't have imei no. and police can't trace it but i have the IC no. and i have a lot of important datas in that phone.i need it what to do

24. eva

My android cellphone has been stolen and I do not have any apps to track it.Can I track it anyway?Samsung Galaxy Ace2(gt-I8160)Please help me somebody!

25. kiya smith

if you have found my phone i would like it back so please call this number if you have it i am a 10 year old girl looking for a phone so call the number REMOVED if you have seen it.

26. andrea leavenworth

my friend was in a store last night and put his phone down and someone took the phone, how can i go by fine it

27. Ashley

I lost my phone recently. It was on silent and GPS turned off. is there still a way to find my phone? i just want the contacts right now

28. KAVEER

how do i find my stolen blackberry 9380 curve ,could i trace it via bbm,what other options i have

29. manas dutta

My mobile model was samsung star 3.Stolen from majherhat railway station at 7.30 pm. dated 5/10/2012.
    How can i track it ???

If your phone has mobile tracker activated,then you can track it.Visit nearest Samsung dealer for more information.

30. kalyan

i lost my mobile am having IMEI number with me can u suggest hw can i recover?

31. justa littlehelper

ok, so this may be a little bit late, BUT, if any app can help you at this time, its plan B c:

32. amarjit singh

Go to and report theft there some chances to get it back soon this is only way you can do

33. shadena hill

how do i get my boost mobile phone somebody stole when its not activated and i dont have the number for it , and its dead ?

Contact Boost for blocking the IMEI for any misuse.

34. Ismail Khan

i have lost my cell. i m having its imei no. i have launched a FIR also. kindly guide me how can i trace who is using the cell.

Ismail khan.

35. 12gagelolo

Is there any service or locater program if my galaxy s3 has been stolen but may not be powered on? It was ringing and ringing when I called it and the thief actually answered once but did not speak before hanging up and then every time after that I have tried to call it goes straight to VM? I need any info on if it's even possible to track if powered down? Desperate!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

36. jeo buddenroma

call you carrier virgin, you will need you imie number . you can find it on the original box of your hand set, or take your receipt where you bought it from they should be able to supply you with it. once you have it either go to your carrier or call them most of them can locate thier phone or just use mr tracker from it locates phone by imie aswell or by sms if you know the number. it will cost you around 20 u.s but it works. hope this helps you.

37. jeo buddenroma

It depends on how your trying to locate your friend. If your tring to locate them by GPS they would have to register their phone with a service , allot of services are free today such as Google latitude and buddy way which are a free service but you might have to pre-install the app onto the phone or get them to sign up with them.

If you have lost/ or your cell phone has been stolen you can locate them by the imie number which comes with every phone. Also if you havent installed software of a location app you can use Mr Tracker which locates a mobile number via sms . This online app works but you have to pay for it. it locates lost or stolen phones via imie numbers and locates cell phones around the world by sms. you can find Mr tracker on the internet don't know if you can get it for free but i got mine from make sure their phone is compatible as-well and that the counrty carrier is listed too.

Mr tracker works via sms , once you send them a sms and they reply to it , you will be given latitude and longitude coordinates within their replied sms which you then input into Google maps or just use their online service. its pretty easy to use once you try it out a few times.

Their are other alternatives if you like spy apps but they all have to be installed before hand.

here are few links:

38. aasiyaa

my cell phone is lost

39. Scarlett

Look,I lost my blackberry curve 8520 and is there any way i can track it by using my number or BBM Pin. I didnt have any installed protection.HELP!!

40. Irshaad Abdool

relay your IMEI number to the police forces or IT UNIT of your locality, it will be a piece of cake for them to triangulate to your phone if it is in use.
    next time, remember to install antitheft softwares on your mobile phone.

sorry for your loss :/

41. thuya8

for android, i recommend androidlost

42. smirt

how can i track my blackberry

43. Romi

i want to track down my bb

I'm sorry someone stole from you. Hopefully they catch the people (or person) responsible and get your stuff back. However, Virgin Mobile has an outstanding replacement program for lost or broken phones. They will more than likely send you either a refurbished model of the same or similar as the one you lost. I've actually had a couple phones replaced for free with them. Call VM and inquire about their replacement phone program!

But in the event the thief isn't caught, there are a handful of means you can use to help get your phone back or help the police catch those responsible (maybe). However, your phone must be turned on. It also must have 3G access (or WiFi) and the GPS turned on.

If you haven't yet cancelled your account with VM, you can remotely install tracking software: The best regarded tracking software is called Plan B. In a nutshell, Plan-B will allow you to find its location within several feet. If you turn this information over to police they may do something about it. Unfortunately, the police do not invest much in the way of resources in catching petty thieves. Petty theft is the theft of any dollar amount less than $950 in California. Laws vary by state. You may wish to check your own.

45. Dalsan

There are posts about the iPhone, yet you stated an Android phone. There are very few possibilities to track your Android phone, and the best advice has been given. Even if you can install apps to your device through the web, it doesn't mean that the person with the phone will allow the install.

This would be one of your best chances to locating your phone:

My suggestion for anyone with Android phones is to install Lookout Mobile as it gives you a very large amount of security and control to your phone should situations like this occur, including wiping all data from the phone and making the phone sound off at the loudest setting, even if the phone is on silent. It also has GPS location for finding the phone. Anyways, hope this helps you.

46. Vrancken René
    • muotechguy

Android != iPhone

I'm afraid there is not much you can do since you don't have any tracking app in place. The best thing you can do is get a police report and have the IMEI of your phone blocked on the Virgin mobile network.

Of course the phone company won't help you tracking it. Even with a police report stating that the phone with IMEI and whatnot was stolen it would require a court order to do so.
    The simple reason is that people could otherwise abuse the system selling their phone for hundred dollars, reporting it stolen and retrieve it via tracking (a good reminder that you should always have some written document on second hand purchases).

48. Susendeep Dutta

You can track your phone using IMEI number -

If your phone has Google Latitude activated,then it can be located in the link below -

Also,Plan B app is useful when your phone gets stolen as it can be installed after your phone is stolen and it sends its location in your Gmail account -

• Ramesh
      October 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm is of no use. i tried to register my request, site is crashing. do not waste your time there.

• Royce
        November 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm is fine now.
        must've been a temporary problem.
        I registered my lost phone, and even got an acknowledgement in my email.

• myenemy

When you register, they send you a msg to your phone to verify... This is also useless.

• thiruna

Please give more details and options sir practially what are the hurdles?

49. TwooshVidisha

Track your iPhone or iPad by installing and using this Find My iPhone app that not only locate your registered devices or at a suspected place, but also let you lock the devices to save the content of the device from being stolen.

And, there is this Prey Project device tracking solution that covers mobile devices of all platforms from Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS to and Linux. Get details on these two and how to make the most of these two mobile device tracking tools from

• muotechguy

The question specifically says Android, and says nothing was installed on it to aid tracking.

• Ramesh

Well, vidisha, words i can think of looking at your posting are
        childish / foolish / time wasting
        Sandra has lost her phone and trying to find some quick help to recover her phone. this will perhaps help her in future.

• myenemy

Read the post before answering... "without any apps installed before hand"

50. Vipul Jain

If no apps to locate it were installed.
    Then only your provider can help you. Or report your IMEI no (should be on the box or bill) to the cops and they can maybe trace it (now this depends on the level of tech your local police have access to)

btw Sorry for your loss.. :/

• Ramesh

I am in similar situation and an Indian like you dwelling at the so called IT capital of India or also Silicon valley of India. It sounds like your city police have all the required stuff to track IMIE and recover lost phone.

Do you have any advise for me.

thanks for your kind reply in advance.

• Justine

I've used Plan B. You can download it remotely to your phone. Mine was stolen and I was emailed the coordinates to my gmail account. Still praying for it to be recovered... :)

• Jenn

I just downloaded installed plan b cause my s3 was stolen but I'm not getting any emails :( do you know if it will work even my sim card was removed?

• venkat

same to me i am also lost my s3 with plan B installation.but there is no any mails :(

• Pablo

same thing just happened to me, just got it stolen.. no emails were sent from plan b .. maybe cause they turn off the phone...

• tsuna

sorry guys but if you have an S3 i'm guessing your running jellybean 4.1/4.2 which means that plan B won't work on your phone my phone was stolen from my workplace and there trying to catch the thief and i emailed the devlopers of planb and they told me it doesn't currently work with jellybean adn sometimes with ice cream sandwhich depending on the phone. My glaxy nexus was stlen.

• Babs

My phone is missing and I added Plan B pretty angry that's it not working been trying for an hour, no clue how on Earth I am going to find it :/ Seems it should work if our phones are off though

• ayushi modi

yrr help me i have lost my smart phone-samsung galaxy ace, i havent turned on my mobile tracking system nor gps nd i want them yrr plzz help me

• lane ball

how to find a lost phone

You can track through GPS like Google Latitude can offer if your phone still has access to internet.