How can I track harassing messages on Facebook?
Question by Dustin Holsing /

A person is sending me harassing emails on Facebook from two diffrent account. I am pretty sure it is the same person. How could I trace both messages back to the same computer?

• muotechguy

If they’re through facebook, theyre not emails. And in that case, no, you can’t trace them back to a computer. The most you can do is report them to facebook, and keep records in case you need to get the authorities involved for harassment charges.

• George

Seriously, has anyone had any success with FaceBook responding to a complaint about stalking, let alone had them track down a user and provide you with that information?

You can block FaseBook messages by FaceBook user name, by going to your Privacy Settings. My experience has been that reporting a problem goes nowhere. If anyone has actual experience to the contrary, I’d like to hear the what and especially the how.

Well, bear in mind that they can’t do anything about most requests because nothing illegal has been done. Free speech, and all that. Like I say – if it is illegal – keep records records yourself and report them.

• Nik

I have had an online stalker for over a year now. He started out on FB, creating impersonation accounts that mirrored my own and then my family and friends’ profiles in order to phish for any information about me that he could get his grubby hands on. 9 times out of 10, I was able to report the impersonation or harrassing accounts and profiles to FB and they shut almost every single one down within 2-7 days of my report. They even emailed me when they made a decision as to whether or not they would act upon the reports I filed with them. All in all, I am happier with FB’s attentiveness than many other sites when it comes to responding to reports of harassment/ inappropriate materials. ImageShack was probably the only site that was faster than FB to respond and take action on reports of this kind.

• Nik

In my personal experiences, FB has been great about responding to reports of harassment, impersonation, and the like. I have had several incidences over the past year with my online stalker creating numerous fake profiles that mirror my own or my freinds’ and families’ accounts in order to gain access to as much information as he could find about me on FB. As each impersonation or fake account came to my attention, I was able to easily report the harrassment or impersonation, and FB usually took from 2-7 days to research my claims and then take action. Probably 90% of the problematic profiles that I reported were ultimately shut down by FB, and I received an email from FB every time they reached a verdict on my reports, whether or not they deactivated the accounts I reported. ImageShack is the only other site that came close to being as responsive as FB with reports of harassment and inappropriate materials.

• george

That’s great. And great to hear. How did you contact FB to get such a response? Which link did you follow, which form did you fill out? TIA

As long as they are emails, look at the full headers. It will contain the IP addresses of all servers it passes through as well as the IP address of the sending computer. If the sender knows what they are doing, this information can be spoofed so it may not be accurate. Also, if it is originating from a webmail service, the user’s IP normally will not be there but it will be the IP address of the machine of the webmail service that the mail was composed on or their primary IP for their webmail service depending on the provider’s configuration.

If you are having continuing problems with harrassment, you should report it to Facebook.

• Ajay Gowtham

oh…ush….OMG….if he contineus just report to facebook of sme crew members……then his profile will be blocked easily…within few minutes…tat’s it…