Touchpad makes cursor jump to unexplained areas, how can I stop that?

James February 1, 2010

Sometimes, mainly when I double touch to click an online button, the cursor will jump to another part of the screen.

Is there any kind of a setting I can do on this new IBM compatible laptop that will stop it from doing this?

1. Indronil Mondal

i read somewhere that in case of a mouse this problem happens as static electricity gets accumulated when we keep it in the hand for too long  maybe something like that is happening here also

2. Allen76se

what about if it does it on a pc?

@James

Did the j1shalack's answer help?

The newer touchpads have a secondary pad area, usually on the right side that serves the same function as the mouse wheel. That is, moving your finger up or down in that area is the same as scrolling the mouse wheel forward or backward.
    If you inadvertently move your finger in that area while touchpadding, the cursor will jump on the screen, in response to this new pad area.

• Goodword45

The problem is "tapping".  Disable tapping in the control panel mouse section.  Uncheck the tapping function and the jumping around will stop  I've had this problem and it stopped after turning off tapping.