Why does the touchpad on my Asus laptop not work?
Question by null /

I try to use my touchpad on my new Asus laptop. I tried to enable and disable it. That doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked in over a week and it is getting frustrating.

• Alec Collier

Ok had same problem  fn + F9 works…as like everyone else probably pressed it in error, to switch of sound without realising. What’s frustrating is the setting remained off even after re-boot 

• NickeyP

hahahahahahaha. Thank you soooo much I was just over her balling because I couldn’t figure out what I had done. All I was trying to do was turn the sound off and my touchpad stopped working. Wow.

• Gleek

For some reason my mouse was disabled. I went into control panel, mouse, and then in device settings enabled my touchpad mouse. All is well!

• Redlzrd1

Yes Yise born fn + f9 fixed the issue. My wife did the exact same thing.

• yahoo

ok, i had the same problem as everyone else. my touchpad simply stopped working. after reading the comment above, fn + f9, my touchpad worked again. i must of locked the pad and didnt know. I hope it works for the rest of you.

• starz

Yiseborn…you just solved my problem…thank you!

• Yiseborn

I just ran into this problem, though my solution may have been what you tried when you said you enabled/disabled the touchpad. I simply held down the “fn” key, and then pressed the “f9″ key. Apparently, when I was adjusting the volume (fn + f11/f12), I must have hit f9, and disabled it, though I had no idea this was a way of disabling the touchpad. Pardon me if this doesn’t help. Just thought I’d add my two cents.

• NethMiss

thank you so much for sharing your experience with others, I wanted to take my asus laptop to the shop I bought from, and ask them to take it back because it’s under warranty. but after reading your comment I fixed my problem. It seems I have to read manual book attached before using anything! no matter how much experience do I have! again thank you Yiseborn :)

• Ian

Thanks Yiseborn – you helped me as well. 

• imgreatfulforyouranswer

maaaan!! i was started to get very frustrated and this did it! you remind me that earlier this morning i did use fn key to turn off the speakers, that must’ve been!! thanks a lot!!

• Meganlucybrudenell

Thank you, !! I wouldnt of new wt to do if you didnt !!!! thanks

• Meganlucybrudenell

Yiseborn you have saved my life hehe thanks !

• JD

EPIC WIN

• Ggar1012

I, too, thank you for telling us which key combination locks and unlocks the mousepad. Someone had mentioned it elsewhere, but you gave us the key! Kudos to you!

• Bunny29

i am so so so so so thankful I saw this. I must have done this as well, and i have been thinking for about months that my track pad didnt work! You are the absolute best !

• Dman

your awesome it worked. why in the world is that button there. lol

• Jake

Hi, my touch pad on my asus isn’t working anymore. but when I plug a mouse into it.. It works just fine. help..?

• callmefrustrated

I purchased my new Asus notebook three weeks ago.  Four days ago the touchpad quit working and although I can use a started mouse, the main point is that I spent around $700 just 3 weeks ago and I believe the touch pad should work longer than that.  Apparently this had been an issue as there is troubleshooting information on the Asus website.  I guess I am lucky that my computer is under warranty and will be fixed at no cost to me, but I am still very frustrasted.  After spending alot of my day yesterday on the phone with Asus support (which I understand, they need to troubleshoot) now I have to send in my computer and be without it for 10-14 days.  RRRghhhhh!!!  Sorry, I had no solutions and I am just venting.  Now I am wondering if I have made an error in my purchase.

I can feel your frustration. I HATE when new hardware breaks. Had that happen to me before…

• callmefrustrated

I just wanted to an update to my situation.  Prior to shipping I was told by Asus tech support the repair turn-around time was 10-14 days of which of I was not especially happy but what could I do. I monitored the shipment of my laptop to Asus via FedEx tracking and it arrived November 1, 2011.  I was able to view on Asus’ repair inquiry system that they had received the laptop on the same day November 1, 2011.  The next day November 2, 2011, through the repair inquiry system, the status of the laptop was waiting (they were waiting for parts), this continued to be the status until November 11, 2011 when I made a phone call to Asus. The customer service agent did some further research and found the part they were waiting on was the motherboard.  She also explained to me turn-around time was 10-14 business days, of which I don’t remember hearing business days prior to my shipping (that could have been my error).  I asked her what the eta was for them receiving the part; she said she would contact the repair service department and they would have to get back with me either by phone call or e-mail.  On the morning of November 12, 2011 I received an e-mail from Asus service stating my computer was on its way back to me.  I am wondering if this is just coincidence or if my computer was ready for shipment several days ago.  This has been extremely frustrating and I am wondering if my computer will work when I get it back.  I had been told by others that Asus had a good product and their customer service was good, I have not had that experience.  Maybe my expectations were too high as I had worked in customer service for over 20 years. You can call me frustrated and very disappointed.

• Cpayne426

this happens to me too, everytime my computer is turned on I have to use the keyboard to access the Mouse Properties and under Device settingS I have to enable the mouse. I do this everytime.  Using my keyboard, i hit the Windows symbol, in the search program and files field I type Help and hit enter, in the search help field i type: Mouse Pad and hit enter. Tab down to Change Mouse Settings and hit enter, tab down to Change how the mouse button works and hit enter, tab down to Click to open Mouse Properties and hit enter. In the mouse properties I press Shif+Tab to highlight the tabs at the top and then i right arrow all the way to the end to Device Settings and then tab down to Enable and then tab to apply…and then it works. I have to do this EVERY time!  *** FYI, Shift+Tab moves your cursor back whEn the arrow buttons dont. Good luck!

• Blah

still doesnr work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing