Which touch screen laptop can you recommend?
Question by Kristen /

I need a new laptop and would like one that has a touch screen. I need a fair amount of memory as I have lots of programs I want to load, need a CD drive that’s attached. 4 USB ports, webcam and wireless. I know nothing about the different kinds, don’t want to pay over 800.00 unless necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions for me how to go about finding one for purchase new or used?

• Bagaleramesh2

Please, anyone can give me the Idea about the laptop which should be around $400.00. especially, I want to watch online TV and you tube video.  I have no Idea which processor is better for video playing. expecting the answer………….

• Chuckd

If you really want all the things that you are looking for, check out the Toshiba Portege Line. I own a M700 and it is a great computer 4GB Ram, C2D processor, 100GB HD,12.1, DVD Writer onboard, and Stylus. I picked mine up from Ebay for $325.00 and it is still under warranty until later this year. The only missing item is the touchscreen, which this model does not have, it does work with the stylus, but not my hand. You should really check out the M750 Line from Toshiba to get all of the items that you want. I would definately give Toshiba a try before taking the plunge. Also, some Models of the M700 have the Dual Touch Screen capability, my unit on the other hand only works with the Stylus…..Hope you find what you are looking for!

• Smiley1slp

Thanks guys : ) I’ve heard there are some models of the HP’s that don’t overheat but I’m having trouble discerning which ones these exactly are. Looks like I may have to save up a bit more money to get what I’m really looking for. Any more insight is greatly appreciated !

Dell Latitude XT2
    Featuring an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.40GHz processor and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium or Professional and a WXGA LCD 12.1 inch screen, this laptop is a great choice for students and business professionals.

Unfortunately, the Dell Latitude XT2 comes standard with only an 80GB 5200RPM hard drive and 1GB of DDR3 memory

Samsung NB30 Touch Screen Netbook

Vye V-91015 Touch Screen Netbook – £379
    only 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive at your disposal, but you do get a decent touchscreen netbook that weighs only 1.3kg.

Toshiba Satellite U500-1EX – £584.97
    An Intel Core i3 processor runs the show and provides strong performance. Multitasking is not a problem and the 4096MB of high-speed DDR3 memory allows resource-intensive applications to easily be ran simultaneously. However, only basic gaming will be possible due to the use of an integrated Intel graphics card.

Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 – £1115.99
    The Intel Core 2 Duo processor provides great performance, with enough power for multi-tasking with resource-hungry applications.

Unfortunately, the integrated GPU greatly limits multimedia usage and is easily beaten by the HP’s dedicated graphics card

HP Touchsmart TM2-1010ea – £863.53
    The compact chassis doesn’t have a DVD drive built in, although an external USB drive is provided which includes LightScribe technology for burning labels.

Battalion Touch CZ-11
    range packs Intel Core i7 processors, ATI Radeon HD 5650 graphics and a 15.6-inch Full HD 1920 x 1080 display, the latter of which is multitouch-capable.OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. The iBUYPOWER Battalion Touch CZ-11 range kicks off at $1,100, but expect to pay upward of $1,299 if you want a decent gaming configuration with the Intel Core i7-720QM CPU.

• Csremblie

i bought a battalion touch cz 11 during their x-mas sale 2010 for 860$

its the best computer i have ever used and im an it pro so i use a lot of computers

it streams video excellently for you tube and net flix 
      it runs every program i throw at it flawlessly
      even extreme processor taxing  CGI and sound editing programs like sound forge, poser and supper max ran supper fast with no lagging or buffering

it has a 16x dvd/cd rrw optical  

and it can react to multiple touches on the screen

if i tag / touch two or three different icons on the screen at the same time it will pull  up or activate all of them at the same time its like having 10 little mouse cursors that can function independently at the same time on the same screen

UN-fortnately they are currently having a problem with the manufacturer that makes specifically just the touch screen part for them and are out of stock at this time but are expecting to have some available by november 2011

and best part they are a los angeles california based company with all assembly and sales done in the US no out-sourcing

not only that they just won some kind of award at the san diego computer expo
      blowing way old time favorites like dell apple and hp

they really are the best BANG! for your buck

The only touchscreen notebooks with internal optical drive I know of are the Lenovo W510 series but they retail for $1100 excluding the $450 touch screen upgrade.

Personally I prefer the Motion Computing Tablet PCs since they are rugged for “real” mobile usage but they retail for $2000 and more. http://www.motioncomputing.com/

• Jessica Cam W.

For that price range, you can probably look at laptops from the HP TouchSmart series, which I have noticed are selling on Amazon starting at $824, but that particular model doesn’t have a DVD drive. There are also touchscreen netbooks for a bit over $400, but those might come with Windows 7 Starter edition (which has some limitations on personalization) and no DVD drive as well.

I own a touchscreen laptop from HP’s previous line of touchscreen/convertible laptops, HP Pavilion TX2500 from 2008 and it’s a pretty good laptop. It has 3 USB ports, a 12-inch screen, a DVD drive, webcam/mic. I had problems with Wifi at my previous school, and a friend of mine that owned a similar HP touchscreen laptop (but probably different model) told me she noticed Wifi connection problems as well. I haven’t had problems now that I upgraded to Windows 7 though. I also use it now with a laptop cooler because after using it for 2+ years, the laptop would overheat and shut down (after which I realized the laptop bottom was incredibly hot). I’ve tried cleaning the fans with compressed air and what not, but I still pretty much need the cooler as the area below the keyboard where I rest my hands can get uncomfortably hot without the cooler.

I actually got it as a gift from the boyfriend, who has a friend at OfficeMax and was able to get it with a discount from the original price which was about $1000, which is the average for most touchscreen laptops. I think the final price was about $700 to $800.Thus, it could help if you have a friend working at Best Buy or Fry’s, etc.

Overall, the laptop has had good points (writing on laptop and not wasting paper, being able to search all your digital notebooks, excellent for drawing if you’re into design, etc), as well as regular laptop problems (overheating, can get slow if you install and uninstall lots of programs, is good as long as the battery’s not dying, etc), but I honestly don’t think I can go back to a regular non-touchscreen laptop now that I’m used to the convenience of a convertible machine.