Why does my Toshiba Windows XP laptop no longer play DVDs?

Jimmy October 14, 2010

My Toshiba M50 laptop no longer plays discs. Would not even load the Toshiba Product Recovery Disc. Wouldn’t play DVDs either. Discs had been running up to recently. There is no error message. Discs inserted in the drawer just do not play. Would appreciate any help.

1. Ryan

I'm guessing your DVD drive itself has failed. There are not necessarily any error messages to prove this, they just go bad. If you give us the exact model number of your laptop we might be able to find a replacement DVD drive. They are usually around $30 and pretty easy to replace.

I second Ryan. If there are no errors or any kind of attempts/signs made by the DVD drive to read the disc the problem is likely to be with the CD/DVD Rom itself. The good news, those are fairly cheap these days. In the worst case you can buy an external one.