Why won’t my Toshiba TV turn on?

lannykendall December 13, 2011

I have a Toshiba TV, Model 32HL95, and when I turn it on the screen stays black. How can I figure out why?

you can ask a repairer for a report and baised on it you can see if you can save the TV and if not then you have to buy a new one. If you have sound but no picture then MAY BE IN NEED OF LAMP REPLACEMEN. If after replacement of the Lamp still no picture but sound then replace ballast (An electronic ballast is a device that provides steady electical current for the starting up and operation of a lamp)
    here is a guide for Toshiba 52HM84 Ballast Replacement

maybe you can download the manual from here

2. Dave Parrack

As the previous commenter noted it may be time to buy a new TV rather than fix the current one. If you exhaust all the options for getting it working again without spending money. Consumer technology is, unfortunately, built as a throwaway commodity these days. And it's often cheaper to buy new rather than repair.

It looks like this TV was released around 2005. Thankfully the prices of big TVs have dropped significantly in that time and you'll be able to get higher specs and more features for your money.

Hello, does the light for power turns on at all?  Have you tried using a different outlet, specially if you are using a power bar?  Was there any power outage recently when the TV was on and it did not start after that? 

I would check by plugging the TV to different outlets.  If it works in other outlets, there is something wrong with the outlet it is currently connected to.  If you try in different outlets and it doesn't work in any of them, then there is something wrong with the power supply.  If this is the case, you could try changing the power supply but this endeavor can become quite expensive.  I would say the best thing for you to do, would be to take it to a professional which depending on the circumstances can become quite expensive too, but at least you will have a definite answer as to what its wrong with it.

It could also be the blacklight like the previous commenter posted.  If your TV is dated, then you have to consider if it is worth it for you to fix or not.     

4. Dave Parrack

If the power supply is fine and the set is switching on OK it may be that the backlight has blown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight

If it is the backlight then you can choose to either get it replaced or repaired, or buy a new set.