Why does my Toshiba netbook start with a black screen and won’t let me boot?

charlie November 9, 2011

I own a Toshiba netbook NB55OD and when I turn it on either the screen goes black or comes with this mumbo jumbo writing on a black screen. I have tried Safe Mode and it doesn’t start that way either. Can anyone help?

remove the battery, press on On button for 3 minutes, replug battery and try to boot and see if  mumbo jumbo comes back.

Hello can you be more specific about the mumbo jumbo you are getting on the screen?  Do you know how to get into BIOS?  For Toshiba it could be delete, F1 or F2.  I am pretty sure, it is F2.  Restart laptop and keep pressing the F2.  (if delete does not work try if with F1 or F2), once you enter BIOS or system setup, check on the main page tab, which should be the one that opens by default and check under Hard Disk.  Does the harddrive serial appear there?  If under that heading it says NONE, that means that your harddrive is not recognized, has problems or it is dead. 

If, on the other hand, there is a serial there your harddrive is ok.  Restart computer and log in to safemode.  Once in safemode, scroll down until you reach the Last know configuration that work option, and press enter.  Let computer restart and see if that fixes it.  Without knowing more about the error/errors you are getting, I will stop here to wait for you to post the error.  Good Luck

• Dsmith642003

I'm having the same problem.  First I tried starting in safemode, last known configuration, etc. because this is the screen that came up and neither worked. Now when I restart, i see "loading ramdisk image" afterwards the screen is blank for a couple of minutes and then i get the following message "Windows can't find ERRORDIAL.LOG EXE".  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.  To search for a file click the Start button,a nd then click search".  I can only click "OK" to clear the msg.  After a couple of minutes, it restarts.   I tried the solution you listed above and the Harddrive serial is there.   

Hello, does the computer start ok after you click Ok to clear the message?  Do you by any chance have a dual boot configuration with Linux?  Were you trying to reformat and install a new operating system?  or, Where you trying to load toshiba recovery discs?  If the computer starts ok after that, you could try renaming your hard drive if there is a space between the name.  For example, if your local drive (c:) is named windows 7, try to change the name to windows7.  If this does not apply to you because your drive has a one word name you do not have to try doing the following:

-- click on start
        -- click on computer/my computer
        -- highlight and right click on drive
        -- select properties
        -- on general tab, on space with id name of disk
        -- change name to a different name like shown above
        -- click on apply and then ok.

If the above doesn't apply to you, you could try disabling toshiba software in startup.

-- click on windows key
        -- click on run (if running windows 7/vista just type it in search bar)
        -- type msconfig
        -- on menu, select startup tab
        -- move your mouse to the command row on any entry with the name Toshiba in it.
        -- try to find if there is an entry with a dialer program on it
        -- if there is no clear entry for that, uncheck all the Toshiba entries on it, except for wireless manager and important stuff
        -- click on apply and then ok.

Also make sure to check your disk for errors.  Easiest way is by doing the following:

-- click on start
        -- click on computer/my computer
        -- select properties
        -- click on Tools
        -- click on check now
        -- marked both options presented
        -- click on start
        -- if it asks you to do it at restart, say yes and disk will be check at restart