My Toshiba M50 Laptop Screen is Just Black

Jimmy February 2, 2010

Since Nov. last my Toshiba M50 Laptop Screen is just black, and shows no information what so ever. I understand that this happened to a lot of computer’s at the time.Was a solution ever found?

Someone said I should write to Microsoft, but I don’t have an email address for tech support. I now use a large monitor with the laptop, but it kind of defeats the purpose. It is the only way it will work, as the laptop screen no longer lights up.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

1. Jimmy

Yeah, seems to be the only option.
    Question I have to ask myself is ;
    is it worth getting repaired?
    Am having doubts.
    Hope that you can get yours sorted out.
    Thanks.

I have 2.5 year old laptop and half the screen just died, and the other half is slowly dieing away. The laptop is still usable with only half a screen, just miss out on the right side of the taskbar and full screen programs. For facebook, its still fine. Luckily its 17 inch.

Apart from the suggestions, I wouldn't think that there is much you can do apart from get it repaired.

3. Jimmy

Many thanks for your very helpful reply which was on the button.
    Yes, a faint image can be seen when you look closely, or is even clearer when you shine a light on the screen.
    I got an extended 3 year warranty but ran out a few months ago.
    Took the Laptop to Toshiba agents in Dublin.
    They estimated 200 - 300 euro for repair.
    A PC shop quoted 200.
    Phone diagnosis was broken backlight.
    Nowadays I can get a much better spec new machine for 399.
    This present one cost 1099, is an XP machine, and I like it - when it's working.
    I do well to turn the thing on so, as you recommend, I won't be trying to repair it.
    After all this I discovered that there had been a problem with Microsoft updates in November, and that this caused a lot of screens to go to black.
    Microsoft were investigating this and that is the last that I read about it.
    That is why I was looking for the Microsoft address, as I wanted to check if they had resolved the problem.
    Thanks again for your excellent reply.

Most of the laptops have a tiny slightly visible pin/button which gets pressed down when the monitor is closed. When this button is pressed the monitor is shut off to save the energy.

It possible that this something is preventing your pin button from coming up i.e. dirt. A few of my friends had this issue in the past. If that's the case you can easily fix it yourself by removing the dirt from the surrounding of the pin.

• Jimmy

Thanks.
      That is interesting and worth checking out.
      I just wouldn't have the experience or the confidence to try something like that, but I will try to find someone who can.
      Thanks again.

Jimmy,

since you can still work with an external monitor it sounds like the hardware of your laptop screen is affected.

Is the monitor pitch black or do you still see a very, very dark version of your desktop when you look closely? If you can still make out the desktop, your backlight is broken.

Do you have any warranty left on the laptop? If so, you need to get in touch with the manufacturer and they will take care of the repair.

If not, take the laptop to a shop and see whether you can at least get a free diagnosis and an estimation of how much a repair would cost.

The good news is, it can probably be repaired. The bad news is, it's probably not cheap and it's not trivial to repair a broken laptop yourself. The screen can be exchanged, but I would not recommend doing it unless you have experience with disassembling electronics.

In any case, eMailing Microsoft is not a good idea.