Why does my Toshiba laptop screen turn black after turning it on?
Question by Alex Diaz /

After I turn on my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, the Toshiba logo comes on, but then it goes black with a little white line on the top left. It doesn’t let me do anything. Can you please help me?

• Miceal123

my laptop toshiba sometimes i get black or blue screen and it shuts down and when i turn it back on sometimes it tries to start when i takes too long to start it shuts down but the screen doesnt come up is this because of my battery because it says you need to replace your battery.

if you haven’t resolved the issue in the meantime, feel free to ask a new question. It will be featured on the MakeUseOf Answers front page and you will receive a response within hours.

• Charlie

I own a toshiba netbook nb550d and when i turn it on either the screen goes black or comes with this mumbo jumbo writing on a black screen. I have tried safe mode and it doesn’t start that way either can anyone help?

are you still looking for a solution for this issue?

It looks like you won’t receive a response within this comment thread. From experience I know that you have a better chance of receiving some feedback and solutions when your question hits the front page of MakeUseOf Answers. Hence, I recommend you to ask a new question.

• Juliet Edoo

My father in New York right now with his laptop that will turn on but the Windows won’t start up. Since he doesn’t have a computer to search up solutions, he asked me to find one. My dad is a business person and would have many browsers open up on his computer. He had to go somewhere but he didn’t want to shut down his computer because that will mean getting all of those browsers back. So he closed the computer lid halfway and had it on his passenger seat while he was driving. When he opened it back up, the screen was black. He started it up, and it powered on but then the screen went black again. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

the above question is several months old and as you see you have not received a response to your comment. I’m afraid I cannot answer your question, however, I recommend you to ask a new question. It will be published on the Answers frontpage and you will receive replies for sure!

• Fuckeditellyou

Your fucked

• Bigvirgin

when this hapens I remove the battery and then return the battery and then it works .

It might not be the same issue, but my TOSHIBA Satellite is doing something similar: sometimes, at start, its screen is dark with strange shadows of gray. When this is happening, I restore the screen to its normal state by pressing at the same time two keys: the “Fn” (i.e. Function) key at the “F5″ key – that is a combination for switching between Laptop’s display and an external display (that, actually, I do not have!).
    I hope that this will work for you too.

John, thanks for the input.

• Zuse10

Thank you john, I have the same proble as you. What I did was to restart the system it is hard to see the curser use a flash light and point it at the sreen from the top. this hill billie ideal worked for me. Bill

• Josh Fox

Is the white line in the top left blinking? If so, it could be an OS failure. What operating system and version are you running?

• Michael

how do i fix this?….

• Josh Fox

Most often, if it’s an OS failure, you would have to reinstall. Sometimes a repair will work, but it’s not guaranteed. The blinking line doesn’t always mean it’s an OS failure, but it’s a strong possibility. It could also be something as simple as a broken driver or service that can be fixed in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode works, it probably is something else broken instead of the operating system itself, so that would be the first thing to check.

HiThere are several various reasons for your screen to fail etc, some links to the graphic card and other link to the bulb that lights the screen/ CCFL backlight failure and a dead inverterhttp://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/laptop-screen-flickering-hissing-and-black-spot-cornerhttp://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/dell-latitude-d610-screen-suddenly-goes-black. LED screens don’t have a fluorescent tube try to download a new driverorshut down the system, unplug it, take the battery out and press ON button for 30 sec, then release the finger and wait another minuteGet into the power settings (under screen saver) and check the settings for running on battery and running on AC power
    or you can put a new bios

sometime adding a new CMOS battery or resetting CMOS can solve the problem.

• Will

Your suggestion worked for mine without downloads. Just pull battery, hold button, wait reinstall battery and turn on.

• Stanley Lauren11

I dont know….

Do you have video out of the VGA video out on your laptop. This would help it troubleshooting.