How can I use a Torrent Client on a proxy server?

islamudin zain February 16, 2011

I am using internet over a proxy server. The problem is that I am unable to download a Torrent via a Torrent client, i.e. BitTorrent because my admin blocked Torrent downloading. And as I know, admin security is not good enough, except that he is running all the network through a virtual Windows Server installation.

1. Jk

Download a tunneling program called "your freedom"

Torrent is being blocked for several reasons by administrators
    .
    One of them, of course, is that most content downloaded [and shared] is illegal. The other one being that a single Torrent Client can render an entire SMB/Enterprise network unusable because of hundreds/thousands of connections being established within a second and putting continuous load on all networking hardware on the path.

Your administrator has the right to block harmful activities, content and applications and unless you are his boss going over his head is not a good idea.
    As FIDELIS pointed out and has been mentioned on MUO several times this can get you fired or worse, in court.

If you care about keeping your job, do not even think about bypassing the internet policies of your place of work. Those restrictions are there for a reason. If the admin security is not good enough, how come it is stopping you from doing what you want to do?

• Islamudin zain

no no this is not like this as you are thinking i have had a conversation with admin and he told me that he has not blocked the torrents but ISA server protocol is doing so now tell me how can i bypass this or solve this ISA problem

If your administrator allows it ask him to change the ISA policy. If he doesn't know how to do that he shouldn't have used ISA in the first place ~ or be admin for that matter.

But from experience the most likely third possibility is:
        He has blocked it on purpose and knows how to change it. He is just irritated explaining to people that Torrent doesn't belong in the workplace.

• Narendra

hello i am a student and in my hostel's net all the torrent and some websites are been blocked. i have already unblocked the websites using one proxy software but my torrent client is not working (means not downloading ) so how can i make it work using that proxy software or other method. FYI; they have used the CYBEROAM to block all that...plz help me