How can I use a Torrent app on Ubuntu?

Mr B September 2, 2011

I have Ubuntu 11.04 and being a newbie I would like to know, step by step, how to use the app. Torrent!

Mr. b.

Hi Mr. B,

Choosing the BitTorrent program that is right for you is the hardest part. If your seaking simplicity, I recommend Deluge. To install Deluge, go to your Terminal (Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal) and enter the command "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deluge-team/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install deluge" without quotes. This will install Deluge and place a shortcut in your applications menu (Menu -> Internet -> Deluge).

Transmission is also another lightweight BitTorent program. You can install that by going to the terminal and typing "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:transmissionbt/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" without quotes. 

If you want a feature-packed BitTorrent program, I would use Vuze (previously Azureus) go back to the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install vuze" without quotes. Alternatively, you may go to the software center and search for "Vuze" and install it. The software center is at Menu -> Software Center. 

I use Deluge out of simplicity. It allows for encryption, it's lightweight and is fairly customizable. 

Once you have installed a BitTorrent application, simply download a torrent from a torrent sharing network, such as ThePirateBay or ExtraTorrent and open it in the application. If it gives you any trouble, navigate to the file's directory (in your web browser, you can usually right click on the download and go to its location) and right click on the torrent, chose "properties" and in "Open with" change which program it opens with. However, it shouldn't give you this trouble.

• Barelohim

thanks Jeffery, I have also downloaded the MakeUseOf Guide {Bit Torrent} and have been reading it.... what you have suggested is right in line with what the book says..... I will give it a go, and see what happens...

thanks Again Jeffery....

Mr B

• Jeffery Fabish

No problem, Bare!