Do people who ask questions on MakeUseOf Answers mark their questions as resolved?

Freecycle Me August 30, 2012

I have been looking at the unresolved posts so I can help, but there are over 600 pages of them, despite very good replies. There are only 91 pages of resolved questions and often I note that the original requester never writes back.

Should there be a policy like many systems that they email the poster and mark it resolved unless they respond and update? I am sure many are lazy or find additional help elsewhere, but it looks like the random acts of kindness are unnoticed and this reduces the wish to help.

Many thanks!

1. Freecycle Me

Thank you to all who posted I do take on board Tina's post and I am glad you are all able to navigate the system well. And as a courtesy :) I feel this is resolved for me Many thanks again

2. Erlis Dhima

I have done about ten questions, and for three of them, I don't have an answer!
    I got a lot of good comments, but didn't find one that solve those problems!
    So, they are not resolved!

3. VictorGeis

I think its common courtesy to check your questions you ask. Unfortunately, a lot of people need a little reminder.

4. Cody

they can or the person who answers it can

Call me what you like but I have to ask, is this not resolved?

6. Jay H

FreeCycle Me, I strongly agree. Furthermore, I prepose a VOTING system: once the answers have gotten enough votes for "Question Resolved" it will then be filed thusly.
    Anyhoo, systems should either work or be removed from the internet entirely (opinion, of course)

:)
    Later guys,
    +jAy-

• Vampie C.

This is indeed a great proposition.

I like it.

Tha would begrea to clean up the "unresolved" resolved questions.
      Nothing prohibits the OP to ask that question again if his was closeed.

7. GrrGrrr

I like the idea f reminder email.

sometime ppl don't resolve as they think there might be a better answer coming up.

hmm
    ok, let me go-ahead and resolve some of my questions..lol

8. KamilKozyra

I mark mine if it gets resolved.

Well, it seems like many people do not mark their questions as resolved. Sometimes we, the editors, mark questions as resolved, but we cannot always decide for the person that originally asked the question.

Also note that the option to resolve a question was only introduced a few months ago. Answers, however, has been around for over 2.5 years. Hence, there are naturally a lot more unresolved than resolved questions.

We are planning to introduce reminder emails sent to the person who asked a question a couple of days after the question was posted. It will contain a link to the question, possibly information about comments received, and it will ask people to respond, mark their question as resolved, and say thank you to the answer that helped the most. This is in progress.

• Justin Pot

Sometimes it seems like people ask a question and don't stick around for the answers, so these reminder emails seem like a great idea. Glad you're on our side, Tina.

Tina, maybe there should be a reminder within the thread itself?

For example if the person is logged in and is looking at the answers a reminder at the reply field.

• Dalsan

I noticed, in error on my mobile device, that there is a reminder just under the question asked when the person views their own question. There are going to be lazy people, and others that rely on the email system that doesn't always deliver. I think that if the posted question goes unresolved for an extended period of time, then a post of something like "Due to the lack of activity for (said amount of time), this question is marked as resolved. If the question was not resolved, then a new question must be asked." would reduce the clutter of old unresolved questions. It is always a work in progress, and I am sure that eventually much of the issues will be worked out, it is trying to find a good method to implement these suggestions that takes time to test and make sure it works properly.