Is time tracking software a good idea for a business?

Tanya Vysochanska October 10, 2012

I wonder if there is anyone who uses time and productivity trackers for his / her employees?
In my company we use Yaware.com
Please share your experience of employee motivation with such tools.

1. Kumar

I would say Yes. Time tracking software is a most important and most required app for all business, not just because it tracks employee time, so that we know what they do, but it also helps us plan the daily schedule with respect to time. We use Replicon http://www.replicon.com/olp/employee-time-tracking.aspx software for time tracking.

2. Time Clock

I am happy with my uAttend time clock. It is an automated time and attendance system integrated with cloud computing server. Here you find more details http://www.uattend.com/

3. Kelly

If you'd asked me a year ago whether detailed time tracking was a good idea, I probably would have said no. Over the past 6 months, though, I've worked with a company that employs real-time hours tracking (using an online timer) and I'm completely hooked. Never realized I was missing out on billable hours. The tool definitely makes a difference, though. For what it's worth, we use http://hourstracking.com and we're quite happy with it.

4. Robin James

At work, we use Time Doctor (http://www.timedoctor.com). It's not the intrusive and privacy invasive stereotype for a time tracking software. In fact, it's the opposite. Aside from efficiently and accurately tracking the work hours and tasks of each employee, it greatly helps in increasing productivity.

It could be a good or bad idea depending on how you've implemented it. In our case, we just found a tool that works for everyone. Each employee knows how they are tracked and how it will all help us. There wasn't a problem ever since.

thanks Robin, for your opinion.
      We use http://yaware.com/ but will also try TimeDoctor.

5. Mike D.

We use Paymo ( http://paymo.biz/ ) and it's a nice tool that combines time tracking, project management & invoicing all into one. It really improve your workday and keep track of everything.

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

personaly it's not what an employee wants. they need freedom to concentrate on their work rather than be pressured from the company... so I guess it'll affect your overall productivity.

thanks for your opinions. Personally I'm also not a big fan of trackers, but when I started to manage a big team with flexible hours Yaware really saved a lot of my time and gave a possibility to save work with flexible hours.
    In my team we use time tracker and everybody knows about it and even can see his/her reports. Now it's not an evil, it's helper and I spend less time for micromanagement.

8. Sam Sanchez

Well, for me, I think it’s time to start adopting this kind of software (like Time Doctor). With the old methods of monitoring your employees, you can’t be sure if they’re always honest when they say they’re working on their tasks. There’s almost no way to directly monitor them if you’re not in their side, so with this new technology you can track their work even if you’re on a vacation or in the other side of the world. Although, you don’t need to micromanage about every aspect of where time is spent. However, it is valuable to know where time is spent for an individual or for a manager, as you can use this information to improve processes and to analyze the work day.

9. Edward Goldblatt

At times it's a good idea, especially if you know you have a worker who's slacking but you can't pin it to him or her. But I think a limited deployment as a part of the disciplinary system would be the best idea.

Thanks, Edward.
      I agree with your opinion. But for the fisrt time time tracker was a hostile for employee, but top-management shoew to us that it's fisrt of all the tool to help flexible hours for us. And now everything is OK :-)

10. Kelsie Medel

It depends on what business you are in. I think it's a fantastic tool if you bill your clients on an hourly basis (shows that you take accurate billing seriously) or if you have mobile employees who work in the field (and appreciate the ability to clock in/out from their phone) or say you are in a profession where you work on a contract basis (time tracking software will help give you an accurate depiction of how long it takes you to do certain jobs and properly bid future contracts) or... the list goes on. Personally, my company uses TSheets and I love the self evaluation of where I'm spending my time and be able to properly schedule my days.

11. Harish Jonnalagadda

Never have been a big fan of such software. never will be.

i don't think that it's more productive when you work under pressure and specially when you know that you are being tracked.

13. Sachin Kanchan

It is not very courteous.
    It is like peeping into someone's daily personal chores even if he is in the office. Employees know what they are supposed to do and what not, but even then they should have some time of peace, leisure.
    Give them a break.

As a person that is very much against trackers and the idiots that impose them the answer has to be - I dont use them and dont like people/companies that do.
    Join Google, they are good with tracking software/apps etc.